my pmw-300 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 16th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: my pmw-300

Bumping this thread to say that if you REALLY want to use your Switronix 96wh on the PMW-300, Hawk-Woods has a regulated battery plate in the form of the HB-C1 power adapter for BP-U batteries. Leave your pigtail in on your 96wh (or older SWIT S-U8U62) battery and connect the output of this thing to the DC-IN of your 300 and you should be set to go. If you leave a real BP-U60 in the camera, it gets even better, as you can hot-swap your Switronix batteries without powering down the camera.

HB-C1 /HBC1 Hot-Bloc Power Adaptor / Hot-Shoe System
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:19 AM   #17
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Bumping this thread to say that if you REALLY want to use your Switronix 96wh on the PMW-300, Hawk-Woods has a regulated battery plate in the form of the HB-C1 power adapter for BP-U batteries. Leave your pigtail in on your 96wh (or older SWIT S-U8U62) battery and connect the output of this thing to the DC-IN of your 300 and you should be set to go. If you leave a real BP-U60 in the camera, it gets even better, as you can hot-swap your Switronix batteries without powering down the camera.

HB-C1 /HBC1 Hot-Bloc Power Adaptor / Hot-Shoe System
How would you mount this on a PMW-300? Can it somehow fit on the shoulder extender?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 08:42 AM   #18
Regular Crew

you wont need this Switronix will shortly have a l96 battery that works directly with the pmw-300 no adapters or need to plug into power port
Brent Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2014, 03:45 PM   #19
Major Player

The Switronix battery I just bought which B&H called the updated version EX-L96UD will not work. See my thread. Nothing over 13 volts will work with the PMW300. So if you know different then please tell me where you read or heard that Switronics has a battery that will work. I wrote about this in another thread.
Old March 19th, 2014, 09:36 PM   #20
Regular Crew

yes I know, I went threw the same situation I bought the updated batteries and they didnt work, There was a workaround with a custom voltage regulator. Anyways IM Beta testing a l96 switronix battery that they Switronix sent me, it works really well, gives you a minutes reading in your viewfinder and doesnt need to be plugges into the power port on camera, and has a dtap. I dont know when it will be released to public

Brent
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #21
Major Player

Thanks Brent! I am sitting here waiting for the pre-paid label for shipping to arrive from B&H so send back the UD version. I was about to pull the trigger on two Sony batteries but will wait a couple weeks and see if the one you are testing is released. I too have begun building a "Buck" unit to work with my V-lock batteries using the rail plate. I think its excellent that Switronix are working on one and it does not surprise me that Ikan are doing nothing.
Please keep us posted and thanks again for the update. I still think it is inexcusable that B&H and makers don't update their catalogue listings to make people aware or at the very least in B&H's case their staff.
Old March 20th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #22
Major Player

I spoke with Vinny from Swiftronix today about their battery and the issues that many might be dealing with at B&H and other Swiftronix dealers. First and foremost Vinny told me that B&H were aware of the issue with the PMW 300 K1 and their battery. B&H had been informed that the battery they were selling the EX-L96UD would not work with the PMW300K1. He also said that Swiftronix are working on a new version of the batter that is in Beta testing right now that does work. This has been confirmed by Brent who is a member of DVInfo.net and that they hope to have the battery on the market in the next month to six weeks. It is said to give accurate readings on the in camera display as well as not require the use of the external pigtail and comes with a D tap connector for accessories.
Can't wait for it!
Done with this thread I hope!
Old March 20th, 2014, 10:17 PM   #23
Regular Crew

i HATE PEOPLE WHO SAY I TOLD YOU SO

I told u so

hahahahahahhaha
Old March 26th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #24
Major Player

So I picked up two batteries over the weekend for my PMW300. I got them from DOLGIN Engineering.
Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Products
Alex Dolgin replied to one of my many goup posts with a fix for the problem. He sells batteries that work perfectly with the PMW300 K1. They are 63Wh batteries with not only a D-Tap power outlet but also a USB out. This means I can run my PMW300, Zylight and HDMI transmitter all off one battery.
Dolgin's reputation and products along with anything he reps or sells is nothing less than top notch. I am so freaking happy to have great batteries that display on my viewfinder and work with my camera. So for those of you looking check out his website. I will be ordering more soon.
Brian
Old March 27th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #25
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Murphy View Post
So I picked up two batteries over the weekend for my PMW300. I got them from DOLGIN Engineering.
Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Products
Alex Dolgin replied to one of my many goup posts with a fix for the problem. He sells batteries that work perfectly with the PMW300 K1. They are 63Wh batteries with not only a D-Tap power outlet but also a USB out. This means I can run my PMW300, Zylight and HDMI transmitter all off one battery.
Dolgin's reputation and products along with anything he reps or sells is nothing less than top notch. I am so freaking happy to have great batteries that display on my viewfinder and work with my camera. So for those of you looking check out his website. I will be ordering more soon.
Brian
Is it this particular battery?

S-8U63 for Sony PMW-100/200/300 cameras [S-8U63] - $205.00 : Dolgin Engineering, Camera Power Products
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 06:22 AM   #26
Major Player

Yes that is the battery. Works wonderfully and I am surprised how little power the PMW300 consumes or how long this lasts whichever you wish.
Cheers
Old April 23rd, 2014, 03:40 PM   #27
Inner Circle

It's been a while, and I have not heard of anything from Switronix regarding their coded 96wh BP-U battery.

In the meantime, my EX-L96UD just died. (see my other thread on it) I really wish I could exchange one for the other.
Old April 24th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #28
Equal Opportunity Offender

On a side note, the S-8U63 battery is $205USD, versus $300-ish for the Sony -60 model over here. Looks attractive until you realise that the cheapest shipping is $67 and even then you still have currency conversion to go ... bringing it to $294AUD.

I think I might just buy the official Sony battery and be done with it. (sigh)

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 08:11 AM   #29
Inner Circle

I kind of got lucky and had a trip to China (where they manufacture the SWIT batteries) and got it for $130 (USD) with no import fees. Just charged it and it works great. It basically fools the camera into thinking it's a BP-U60, unlike the Switronix which only fools the camera into thinking the battery is the DC IN.

Hope Switronix really can follow this up, cause my EX-L96UD definitely needs replacing. I may just sell my RMA to somebody to get the new Switronix.
Old April 27th, 2014, 03:44 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Back on the coded 96wh battery topic, I still have not seen any news so now I have doubts on whether it will release. It may be this recent problem with the EX-L96UDs that may have delayed the release of this next one.

Would be nice to hear official word on an estimated release date.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds