my pmw-300 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 1st, 2015, 11:17 PM   #46
Inner Circle

Re: my pmw-300

Wow. A sizable chunk of my observations were false... The S-8U93 will do this no matter if the DC IN is connected if the battery is first attached to the camera. Unlike the older pigtail batteries with no coded data, when the camera receives bad battery info data, it will spit out a battery error no matter what if externally depleted upon cold boot, EVEN WITH THE DC IN CONNECTED. Most of the observations regarding it reporting a false full charge were correct, but you need to use the DC IN, then turn on the camera, THEN plug in the battery. (Unless that's wrong too) When powering these batteries after external depletion, you have to leave the battery bracket empty upon bootup... (and this is still a theory)

Edit: It will happen no matter what. There is no avoiding occasional battery errors with the new SWITs. But if you have a hot-swap capable camera, you can get out of the software lockout after putting the battery in the camera after the camera has booted from DC power with no battery in the slot much easier than if you can't. (Again, sorry PMW-100, 200 and PXW-X200 users.) The method I just described to use DC with the battery slot empty, then slot in, out, then back in should work on cameras with hot swap capability.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; November 2nd, 2015 at 04:55 AM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Another update:

The S-8U93 will even do this even if there's a minute change in charge from background drain. It will successfully boot one day, then a minute change in charge will cause a battery error. Temperature fluctuations can cause this too! HAVE THAT D-TAP TROUBLESHOOTING CABLE OR YOUR BC-U1 DC CABLE READY.

Hot swapping is the only way to solve this, and the Sony engineers have made that hard on newer XDCAM series cameras excluding the 4K models.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2016, 12:28 AM   #48
Equal Opportunity Offender

What those Sony engineers have done regarding battery compatibility is right up there with the Adobe Illustrator programmers encrypting the text content within the Illustrator file format in order to frustrate the Corel Draw programmers when they were updating their import filter for the next version of Illustrator.

It's fun and games in a competitive industry. Probably a lot of swearing and/or giggles behind the scenes, too.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds