Will the PMW200 be upgradable to support Sony's XAVC codec ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Will the PMW200 be upgradable to support Sony's XAVC codec ?

See title... After all the PM200 is the same machine as the PMW300 except for the interchangeable lens and built in shoulder accesory, isn't it ? Alternatively, any chance that it'll be possible to record in that new XAVC codec using an external recorder ?

Thanks for any hint
Vincent Kenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Will the PMW200 be upgradable to support Sony's XAVC codec ?

The PMW-200 came out a long time before XAVC was developed. The XAVC encoder in the PMW-300/F5 etc is a hardware encoder, so I would imagine it's extremely unlikely, about as likely as the EX1R to get 4:2:2.
Old November 24th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #3
New Boot

Alistair Chapman, thanks for your reply. XAVC was presented to the public in Octobre 2012, that's only 2 months after the PMW200 became available, although things do move quickly in the video world I wouldn't call this "a long time"... This is especially disappointing since many people choose the PMW200 on the base of the longevity of its predecessor.

BTW you mention the EX1R which does enable recording in 4:2:2 with an external recorder, hence my question about the possibility to record in that new XAVC codec also using the same medium. Or said differently, is there a significant difference between what comes out of the PMW200 & PMW300 SDI connector ?

Thank you
Old November 25th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I think what he meant by the 4:2:2 statement is that it is just not possible for the EX1R to get a software update that requires new hardware.

The SDI output will still be 4:2:2, just like all other EX cameras. The only way it may be different is if 3G-SDI may be possible after the 300 gets the XAVC upgrade IF it supports 1080 50p/60p.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:14 AM   #5
Major Player

What codec is in an external recorder would be up to the recorder manufacturer wouldn't it?

...or am I missing something in the context of your question?
Old November 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Inner Circle

The original poster was asking if there was a chance XAVC internal recording was going to be possible down the line. Simple answer: No. It's VERY unlikely.
Old November 27th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
The original poster was asking if there was a chance XAVC internal recording was going to be possible down the line. Simple answer: No. It's VERY unlikely.
Yes. As for internal recording it is impossible. But the original poster is asking whether it is possible with external recorder. Could be possible if there is a device capable of XAVC recording in the future. At present I think there is none.
Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Considering the Nanoflash uses a Sony Codec board, if there is going to be one, Convergent Design would be the people to keep an eye on.

The thread title is what mislead many to think it was internal recording that the original poster was talking about. A better title would be "Any chance for a XAVC external recorder down the line?"
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #9
New Boot

>The thread title is what mislead many to think it was internal recording that the original poster was talking about. A better title would be "Any chance for a XAVC external recorder down the line?"

I didn't know that XAVC encoding required a dedicated board which is absent in the PMW200.
I guess a XAVC-compatible PMW250 is in the wings then...

Thank you all
Old November 29th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Major Player

Camcorders don't run codecs in software generally. A hardware-based encoder has typically been the method since camcorders only had to record a few derivatives of a single format.
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=I didn't know that XAVC encoding required a dedicated board which is absent in the PMW200.
I guess a XAVC-compatible PMW250 is in the wings then...

A dedicated encoder and an exclusive licensing is also required to record since XAVC is Sony's proprietary codec and third parties can't implement it on their own.
Rajiv
Rajiv Attingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Convergent Design has a good relationship with Sony, hence why the codec chips for XDCAM HD422 are in the Nanoflash. Continuing that relationship would lead to a brand new XAVC based recorder.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds