Expresscard Adapters... do they work? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 8th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Expresscard Adapters... do they work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
for example, SanDisk Ultra 32GB cards fail every single time in my application at 35mbps right around 12 or so minutes... which coincides with the 4 GB mark, the maximum allowable file size on a FAT 32 file system. My SPECULATION is the card is fast enough to write to but not fast enough to close one file, append the FAT and the open the next file and start writing.
I have seen certain older SD card adaptors having throughput way below what I would consider decent headroom and that would cause problems. Indeed I experienced something similar myself way back in 2009.

After testing, I then binned all the adaptors and also changed brands of SD card.

The over crank test I have described elsewhere should weed out any problems. A good modern card and adaptor combo will fill an SD card with over cranked footage at 50fps without complaining.
Old January 8th, 2014, 01:46 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
So what firmware is he on? What card did he have in the adaptor? Was it genuine media from the likes of Sandisk or was it some cheap and cheerful Chinese card that a distributor slaps a sticker on and claims is made to a certain spec?
You should followup on the referenced thread if you want that stuff. Those are issues SD card users have to deal with that those using SxS don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
... Indeed I experienced something similar myself way back in 2009....
While I'm flattered that you quoted me in your post, something got bobbled. I did not say what you quoted. That was Shaun whom you quoted.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:50 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
While I'm flattered that you quoted me in your post, something got bobbled. I did not say what you quoted. That was Shaun whom you quoted.
Apologies for the misquoting. The quoting system on this forum is somewhat unusual/broken.

I'm walking away from this now. This subject is as old as the hills, we've been through it all many many times and the causes of any problems are well established while ignoring the fact that no other media ever fails.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds