DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New Firmware for PMW-200 & PMW-300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/521683-new-firmware-pmw-200-pmw-300-a.html)

Andy Wilkinson February 15th, 2014 06:19 PM

New Firmware for PMW-200 & PMW-300

Sony have issued new firmware for both these cameras today.

Seems it will reduced chromatic aberration.

I am shooting with my PMW-300 tomorrow (along with my C100, which is sporting a new firmware itself) so won't be installing any new firmware on the Sony until that is out of the way and also after a sufficient period of time has passed for any issues to become known. I am always super cautious on the things!

Just wanted to let everyone know to look out for information about these.

Brent Kaplan February 15th, 2014 06:41 PM

Re: New Firmware for PMW-200 & PMW-300

any link for that info?

Galen Rath February 15th, 2014 07:52 PM

Sony of Canada: E-Support

James Kuhn February 16th, 2014 12:24 PM

To all...I recently downloaded Sony's FW v 1.3 from the Sony Micro-Site (see Link). I had no issues and the camera is operating fine. I will mention, there are a couple of 'new default' settings that might change your standard configuration, so after updating I would recommend going through your 'Menu settings' and ensure things are to your liking.

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Best regards,

J.

Alastair Meux February 16th, 2014 04:49 PM

I have a PMW-300, and without the firmware upgrade I found the image to be unusable in high contrast
situations on the long end of the zoom. If you are doing softly lit talking heads I think you would be ok, depending on your client.

Here is a link to an extensive thread on XD Cam User.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/forum3/vie...php?f=4&t=4728

I just checked the link and the website seems to be having problems at the moment.
But do read it, and I would urge you to upgrade before your shoot.

Brent Kaplan February 16th, 2014 05:41 PM

what is the best way to do the update

Are there any instructions ?

Do I need a PC or MAc ?

Thanks

Alastair Meux February 16th, 2014 11:17 PM

I am sorry but Sony did my upgrade for me, so I don't know the procedure.
I upgraded my EX3, but again that was done by a rental house when they sub rented from me.

Firmware upgrades for anything are a little scary but usually straightforward.

Brent Kaplan February 17th, 2014 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/support/so..._success=true&

the file is here with the notes on how to install but Im still confused.

where is the root directory on a sxs card ? On a mac the file shows up as .bin and doesnt extract

Jack Zhang February 17th, 2014 07:59 PM

Root is the topmost level of the card file structure. (AKA not opening the BPAV folder after opening the SxS card.)

Once you've formatted the card in camera, and added the .bin file alongside the BPAV folder, you should be set to go to the menu to do the "Version Up." procedure.

Brent Kaplan February 17th, 2014 08:03 PM

jack for the pmw-300 the top file is CLIP then CUEUP.xml then DISCMETA.xml then EDIT then General then mediapro.XML then SUB then Take Then userdata

Thanks in ADVance for the help

Jack Zhang February 17th, 2014 09:41 PM

Don't place the .bin in any folder on the SxS. Just click on the drive on your desktop and put the .bin on the drive without putting it in a folder.

Brent Kaplan February 17th, 2014 10:37 PM

well ive followed the directions and it doesnt work it keeps saying no file

Meng Li February 18th, 2014 03:54 AM

I have just successfully upgraded my PMW-300 to 1.12 according to the instructions. It's nothing difficult, just download and extract the bin file, copy it to the card (w/e working card is OK including XQD), and select the upgrade firmware option. It will confirm with you for several times that if you really wish to upgrade. Once you selected all 'yes', it will start the work, the VF screen turns to black at this time and shows the timer for Phase 1.

My phase 1 timer took 323 secs. Then the screen turns totally black, the camera has some high pitch (~10000Hz) buzzing for several seconds (hey don't get scared, it won't burn your machine), then the screen flips horizontally and starts phase 2.
My phase 2 took a bit longer, for 836 secs. Just feel free to drink some tea. Then it turns black again and keeps buzzing for seconds, and starts phase 3. The flipped screen is not changed back.
My phase 3 took shorter than expected, for 591 secs. Immediately after it finishes, the flipped screen says OK to turn off and the recording red light flashes, so you turn it off and back on. Boom, the screen lights up again working correctly. My default settings are not changed, including language and shutter speed, etc.

So here is my question. My lens is Fujinon XS17x5.5BRM, it seems that it does support ALAC but according to here:
Single, fixed lenses get a bad rap | Products content from Broadcast Engineering
The ALAC function for this lens is not supported by PMW-EX3. So I wonder if 300 does support it or not.

Also, what's ironic is Sony's global sites are not all well maintained. The UK site seems far better than US site. Though living in Vancouver here I have to get to UK site to get correct update file since the US site did not even list it there, and Canadian support site gives a wrong file name and no user manual, rendering it technically incapacitated (No File Error). So the final word is, download the stuff from UK site, for now, including the future XAVC upgrade too.

Jack Zhang February 18th, 2014 04:05 AM

I'm used to updating in FAT mode since I own a EX1R. If all else fails, format the card in FAT mode and retry the same procedures I just said.

Brent Kaplan February 18th, 2014 12:15 PM

how do u extract the .bin file on a mac ?