DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Coded BP-U95 with D-tap? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/521687-coded-bp-u95-d-tap.html)

Brian Cassar February 16th, 2014 02:49 AM

Coded BP-U95 with D-tap?

I have been searching high and low for a BP-U type battery which needs to:

be rated as 95WHr
must be coded (that is no need for a cable to power an EX1/3)
having a D-Tap outlet

I have found either a 95WHr with D-tap but not coded (I presently have and use 2 such batteries) or a 60WHr which is coded and having a D-Tap (such as the Swit one). I need more that 60WHr to avoid battery swapping.

If somebody knows of any, can you kindly let me know please? Thanks

I need the D-tap in order to power up my Zylight 90. Or else can anyone let me know how I can attach a BP-U 60 battery on top of my Zylight 90 in order to give power to it alone instead of sharing the power with the camera? I would then buy a DSM 75WHr coded battery for the camera alone which would be of sufficient power to avoid battery swapping whilst using the BP-U 60 for the Zylight alone. I am trying to find something similar to the Hawkwoods HC-1 clamp: HC-1 /HC1 Hot-Clamp / Camera Hot-Shoe System which goes around the battery and can then be attached to a hot shoe. But no such luck here either...

Jack Zhang February 16th, 2014 08:52 AM

Re: Coded BP-U95 with D-tap?

Switronix has been making coded batteries in the ~65wh range and they did create the 96wh battery that isn't coded for now. (yet still able to be used on the PMW-100 and 200 due to it being able to fool that the battery terminals are the DC IN.)

J65

The primary problem is the high quality cells used in these from the OEM aren't designed for D-Tap loads. SWIT just does it cause it's from China. The DSM 84wh uses Panasonic cells which aren't designed for high load neither.

If any company is going to try to make one, It'd be Switronix. If you have a PMW-300, the situation gets even more complicated because you need voltage regulation on your pigtails at 12V.

Edit: I was able to mount a Ikan BP-U plate on my Flolight Microbeam 128. (with some drilling of the housing and added a voltage mod to cut out the power at 13.7V. This is important since batteries reverse polarity if they're drained too far.) It doesn't hurt to mount the battery on the light itself as long as it's secure. The Ikan plate only needs 1 screw. With some soldering you can fashion a DC connector to the Zylight.

I know, DIY is a pain, but it's kind of necessary for the BP-U battery format since no one supports it.

Brian Cassar February 16th, 2014 10:21 AM

Thanks Jack for the interesting reply. Actually after posting the thread this morning, I found a partial solution. I own a Hawkwoods HB-C1 adaptor: HB-C1 /HBC1 Hot-Bloc Power Adaptor / Hot-Shoe System I can attach any BP-U battery to it and power up the Zylight. I had already tested it with both the original Sony 30 battery and a IKAN BP-U95 battery. Furthermore it can attach to any hotshoe. I had initially bought it so as to use it on a DSLR.

You said that the DSM is not meant for a high load. I was thinking of powering the Zylight with a DSM battery as well - the Zylight is rated at 30watts at max power. Do you think that I would be better off using a China-made battery for the light? After all they are way much cheaper than the DSM - ebay is full of them at the moment! I would still buy a DSM for the camera however. Thanks.

Jack Zhang February 16th, 2014 08:23 PM

Yes, the Hawk-Woods will work. It also future proofs you for the PMW-300 since it's 12V regulated outlet is compatible with the DC IN of the 300 (The 300 has an artificially limited DC-IN since they don't want you to use pigtails with the camera.)

I'd use a SWIT with the Hawk-Woods. You can even get the previous generation model and it would still work with the Hawk-Woods.

Brian Cassar February 24th, 2014 01:21 PM

I think I solved my own issue. Following a comment by Brent Kaplan posted here: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ns-needed.html I have contacted Switronix who have confirmed that in the coming weeks they will be launching their 95WHr coded battery (that is no pig tail cable) and having a D-Tap outlet. Finally....!

Jack Zhang February 24th, 2014 01:54 PM

Really? Alright! I'm going to sell my current 96wh in exchange to order that one!

Brian Cassar February 24th, 2014 02:25 PM

That's right Jack - they told me that they are planning to have them in approx. 4 weeks time :)

Jack Zhang June 14th, 2014 12:22 AM

Hate to poke Switronix, but it's been well past the amount of time expected. Where are any new developments for this battery?

Jack Zhang September 12th, 2014 09:19 PM

Okay, it's been months since it's expected delivery time and Switronix has gone silent. Brent still has his beta battery I bet and there's been no developments even at IBC. If by next NAB we still don't have a new model, give up hope because it was only a beta and it never flew off the ground to a production model. (AKA it was vaporware)

Therefore, Brent would have the only models in existence of said battery.

Jack Zhang December 30th, 2014 01:50 PM

Status remains the same at the end of 2014. Switronix has gone silent on their BP-U lineup, focusing on BMD URSA, GH4, GoPro and CION powering solutions.

Jack Zhang April 5th, 2015 06:23 AM

It's Vaporware, end of story.

Buy some SWIT S-8U63s instead. Depending on how long your shoot day is, get 2 to 4.