DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Using SxS cards in both the EX-1r and PMW-200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/521766-using-sxs-cards-both-ex-1r-pmw-200-a.html)

Sherry Buchla February 19th, 2014 05:51 PM

Using SxS cards in both the EX-1r and PMW-200

Can I use the same SxS cards in both the EX-1r and the PMW-200 without reformatting if I shoot 35 Mbps 4:2:0 on the PMW-200? I will have access to both cameras on an upcoming shoot but will need to use the same SxS cards in both cameras. Also, are there any different ingest procedures to consider between the EX-1r footage and the 35 Mbps 4:2:0 footage out of the PMW-200?

Dave Sperling February 19th, 2014 09:20 PM

Re: Using SxS cards in both the EX-1r and PMW-200

Yes, you can use same cards in both without reformatting if both are using the 4:2:0 FAT32 (BPAV) file structure. One thing to remember is that the PMW200 records 4 audio tracks, so depending on your system and needs you may deal with it slightly differently than the EX1r footage which has only 2 audio tracks. Some editors get confused with the additional tracks if they are set to record camera mics, since if they listen to all the tracks simultaneously it may seem muddy - until you listen to them separately. (Also, because of the additional audio tracks you will have a slightly shorter record time on the PMW200 than on the EX1r for the same size card.)

Jack Zhang February 20th, 2014 02:55 AM

Kind of stating the obvious, but Picture Profile data obviously cannot be carried over between cameras. If you have Planning Metadata, only EX1R version 1.20 or above can use the planning metadata from XDCAM Browser.

The EX1R has 4 channel audio playback, only it can select 2 channels at a time.

Shaun Roemich February 20th, 2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherry Buchla (Post 1832993)
Also, are there any different ingest procedures to consider between the EX-1r footage and the 35 Mbps 4:2:0 footage out of the PMW-200?

The PMW200 requires some updates to the import software for a Mac and FCP to "see" the footage on the cards...

I use Content Browser EXCLUSIVELY to import my PMW200 footage into FCP7.

Of course, if you aren't using FCP then your mileage may vary...

James Kuhn February 20th, 2014 01:20 PM

Sherry Buchla...I agree with the other posters and would recommend using Content Browser as a Media Manager. I noticed you did not say which platform you're using, PC or Mac, but it works for both systems. Complexity dependent upon your NLE.

Also, don't forget to load the latest S/W for the SxS cards.

IHTH.

Regards,

Sherry Buchla February 20th, 2014 06:54 PM

James, I am using a PC. Thanks for the suggestions!