Using SxS cards in both the EX-1r and PMW-200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 19th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #1
New Boot

Using SxS cards in both the EX-1r and PMW-200

Can I use the same SxS cards in both the EX-1r and the PMW-200 without reformatting if I shoot 35 Mbps 4:2:0 on the PMW-200? I will have access to both cameras on an upcoming shoot but will need to use the same SxS cards in both cameras. Also, are there any different ingest procedures to consider between the EX-1r footage and the 35 Mbps 4:2:0 footage out of the PMW-200?
Sherry Buchla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Using SxS cards in both the EX-1r and PMW-200

Yes, you can use same cards in both without reformatting if both are using the 4:2:0 FAT32 (BPAV) file structure. One thing to remember is that the PMW200 records 4 audio tracks, so depending on your system and needs you may deal with it slightly differently than the EX1r footage which has only 2 audio tracks. Some editors get confused with the additional tracks if they are set to record camera mics, since if they listen to all the tracks simultaneously it may seem muddy - until you listen to them separately. (Also, because of the additional audio tracks you will have a slightly shorter record time on the PMW200 than on the EX1r for the same size card.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 02:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Kind of stating the obvious, but Picture Profile data obviously cannot be carried over between cameras. If you have Planning Metadata, only EX1R version 1.20 or above can use the planning metadata from XDCAM Browser.

The EX1R has 4 channel audio playback, only it can select 2 channels at a time.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Buchla View Post
Also, are there any different ingest procedures to consider between the EX-1r footage and the 35 Mbps 4:2:0 footage out of the PMW-200?
The PMW200 requires some updates to the import software for a Mac and FCP to "see" the footage on the cards...

I use Content Browser EXCLUSIVELY to import my PMW200 footage into FCP7.

Of course, if you aren't using FCP then your mileage may vary...
Old February 20th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Major Player

Sherry Buchla...I agree with the other posters and would recommend using Content Browser as a Media Manager. I noticed you did not say which platform you're using, PC or Mac, but it works for both systems. Complexity dependent upon your NLE.

Also, don't forget to load the latest S/W for the SxS cards.

IHTH.

Regards,
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #6
New Boot

James, I am using a PC. Thanks for the suggestions!
Sherry Buchla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds