DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Gonna Switch From OSX 10.85 to Maverick (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/522105-gonna-switch-osx-10-85-maverick.html)

Bob Jackson March 8th, 2014 12:49 PM

Gonna Switch From OSX 10.85 to Maverick

Looking at the forums i find conflicting information.
What is the current sxs drivers for Mac OS.
I am running a MBP 27" early 2011 i believe.
If i update to maverick what do i need to get my MBP up and running.
Read somewhere (Feb 28) that drivers still not available?
Is this true?
What version of XDcam browser and other software will currently work with my computer.
My Ex-1 is 1.028 or close.
Bob

Robin Probyn March 9th, 2014 02:34 AM

Re: Gonna Switch From OSX 10.85 to Maverick

SXS UDF 2.1.1 Content Browser 2.2.. all ok for me on Maverick .. sorry don't use the SXS driver as use the card reader..

Matt Davis March 10th, 2014 10:31 AM

I'm still using XDCAM Transfer on Mavericks. It fires off a few bitchy alerts, but still does a grand job.

After I upgraded, SxS didn't work. I tried a few things, but to no avail. Over two days, I found more and more irritations over Mavericks, so prepared the restore drives (thou shalt clone your boot drive using SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, thou shalt make a new and fresh Time Machine backup, no kidding).

On the third day (I know how this sounds) it started seeing SxS cards whilst I laid out the drives. I'd done nothing, and suddenly it was seeing my SxS cards complete with icon. A sign! A sign!

Probably not, as Mavericks when freshly installed has an auto update thingy switched on by default. So I can't tell you HOW the MacBook Pro did it, but it did. And similarly for a few other things as well.

Please, please don't do what I was advised to do. I was advised to just go ahead and do an 'install over Lion'. Big mistake. Doing this broke my installation of the Canon C300 MXF import and whilst I've fixed it, it wasn't an easy fix and involved a donor. Mavericks is a huge change and should be treated as a chance to 'rebuild your engine'.

But yes - even though Mavericks completely rogered my email system and USB3 solution (forcing a rethink and change of method), it's been worth it.

Adobe Premiere Pro, FCP7 and FCPX all playing nicely with SxS, SxS-1 and MxM.

Shaun Roemich March 13th, 2014 11:40 PM

I BOUGHT my MacBook Pro 13" Retina with Mavericks installed and found the drivers online and got everything up and running in an evening so I can't comment on the upgrade part of your question...

Sony Content Browser 2.x works great. Did have to dig a bit to find the SxS drivers for the Sonnet Thunderbolt Express34 card reader I use for SxS cards out of my PMW200 but all in all the laptop works fine with SxS cards under Mavericks.

Kevin Spahr March 14th, 2014 10:56 AM

I updated my MacBook Pro 17" and my old Mac Pro 1,1 (Using a boot loader hack) and both have been flawless. I use FCP 7 on both and I think performance is better with Mavericks. Compressor seems to use all the core at a higher percentage than before. My SxS cards work fine.

I made a carbon copy of the hard drives and then did a clean install on both machines. Reinstalled my apps and haven't looked back. You have to watch out for old 32bit cruft that might cause problems in this all 64bit system - that's why I did the "nuke and pave" route.

There are a lot of plugins (audio and video) that will not work and most likely never be updated. So remember that if you have some software that you must use. You could use a dual boot system and keep your legacy OS and apps available although it is a pain to switch back and fourth while working on a project.