DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Shutter speed for fast-moving cars XDCAM EX or PMW-200 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/522185-shutter-speed-fast-moving-cars-xdcam-ex-pmw-200-a.html)

Anthony Trotter March 12th, 2014 07:06 AM

Shutter speed for fast-moving cars XDCAM EX or PMW-200

Upcoming shoot involves fast moving cars, 120kph (75mph) speeds or more. EX1R and EX3 combo or PMW-200 solo cameras to be used. The footage will be minimally graded in post, possible time-remapping effect sequences created. Can anyone suggest a shutter speed that will reduce motion blur and give the vid a distinctive look? Hopefully the weather will be sunny, location will be the same as the video shown in the link:
Thanks,
Anthony

Les Wilson March 12th, 2014 07:52 AM

Re: Shutter speed for fast-moving cars XDCAM EX or PMW-200

I know you are asking about a specific shutter speed but the recording format (recording rate) matters too. You probably already know that the SOP to get the most bits in frames per second is to capture using S&Q at 1280x720p60 in a 24p recording format then remap the timing in post. Beware, no sound is recorded. On the EX1r at least, if memory serves, to keep recording in S&Q mode, you have to reactivate it after each shot. Fortunately there's a button for that on the EX1r. Not sure about the EX3 and PMW-200.

Personally I can't stand the look of high shutter speeds but I'm sure you have a reason for wanting minimal motion blur per frame.

Anthony Trotter March 12th, 2014 08:16 AM

Thank you very much, Les. May very well use the S&Q if time allows and can set up a decent shot or sequence.

Alister Chapman March 14th, 2014 06:19 AM

If you want sound then just shoot 720p60 and then use your edit software to "interpret" the footage as 24/25fps of whatever your edit frame rate is.

Frankly though any slow-mo done with an EX1/PMW-200 is a bit of a compromise these days. Either reduced resolution through the use of 720p or full resolution and post production time-warp effects which may or may not look OK. When the EX1 was launched, being able to shoot at 60fps in 720p was cool, but now with cameras like the FS700 or F5 that can shoot full HD(or even 4K) at 240fps, 60fps 720p is a bit naff. It's handy for occasional shots but I really think that to get the look you are after you really want a camera that can shoot at a much higher frame rate.

If I were you I would hire an FS700 for the super slow-mo. You won't regret it, there is a night and day difference between time-warped 60fps and real 240fps (which you could also time-warp in post).

Anthony Trotter March 16th, 2014 10:25 PM

Thanks for the advice, guys. Renting a FS700 is a great idea, but not an option for this project. Will definitely do it in the future. What I'm gonna do this time is use two cams, EX1R and EX3. Will have one cam dedicated to 720p60.

Anthony Trotter March 28th, 2014 06:35 AM

I ended up using my two PMW-200's and had one dedicated to 720p60 and I think it turned out very well. Definitely was able to see the subtle movements of things like wheel movement while going over potholes, leaves being scattered by the fast movement of the car, etc. Thanks again for the advice.