Shutter speed for fast-moving cars XDCAM EX or PMW-200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 12th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shutter speed for fast-moving cars XDCAM EX or PMW-200

Upcoming shoot involves fast moving cars, 120kph (75mph) speeds or more. EX1R and EX3 combo or PMW-200 solo cameras to be used. The footage will be minimally graded in post, possible time-remapping effect sequences created. Can anyone suggest a shutter speed that will reduce motion blur and give the vid a distinctive look? Hopefully the weather will be sunny, location will be the same as the video shown in the link:
Thanks,
Anthony
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Shutter speed for fast-moving cars XDCAM EX or PMW-200

I know you are asking about a specific shutter speed but the recording format (recording rate) matters too. You probably already know that the SOP to get the most bits in frames per second is to capture using S&Q at 1280x720p60 in a 24p recording format then remap the timing in post. Beware, no sound is recorded. On the EX1r at least, if memory serves, to keep recording in S&Q mode, you have to reactivate it after each shot. Fortunately there's a button for that on the EX1r. Not sure about the EX3 and PMW-200.

Personally I can't stand the look of high shutter speeds but I'm sure you have a reason for wanting minimal motion blur per frame.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you very much, Les. May very well use the S&Q if time allows and can set up a decent shot or sequence.
Old March 14th, 2014, 06:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you want sound then just shoot 720p60 and then use your edit software to "interpret" the footage as 24/25fps of whatever your edit frame rate is.

Frankly though any slow-mo done with an EX1/PMW-200 is a bit of a compromise these days. Either reduced resolution through the use of 720p or full resolution and post production time-warp effects which may or may not look OK. When the EX1 was launched, being able to shoot at 60fps in 720p was cool, but now with cameras like the FS700 or F5 that can shoot full HD(or even 4K) at 240fps, 60fps 720p is a bit naff. It's handy for occasional shots but I really think that to get the look you are after you really want a camera that can shoot at a much higher frame rate.

If I were you I would hire an FS700 for the super slow-mo. You won't regret it, there is a night and day difference between time-warped 60fps and real 240fps (which you could also time-warp in post).
Old March 16th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, guys. Renting a FS700 is a great idea, but not an option for this project. Will definitely do it in the future. What I'm gonna do this time is use two cams, EX1R and EX3. Will have one cam dedicated to 720p60.
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I ended up using my two PMW-200's and had one dedicated to 720p60 and I think it turned out very well. Definitely was able to see the subtle movements of things like wheel movement while going over potholes, leaves being scattered by the fast movement of the car, etc. Thanks again for the advice.
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds