DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   New Switronix EX-L96UD Battery problem DOA twice, 7 month old battery failing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/522196-new-switronix-ex-l96ud-battery-problem-doa-twice-7-month-old-battery-failing.html)

Juan McFarland March 12th, 2014 03:57 PM

New Switronix EX-L96UD Battery problem DOA twice, 7 month old battery failing

Is anyone else having issues with Switronix EX-L96UD battieries?

I have had an EX-L96UD for 8 months, I am familiar with it's operation.

I ordered a new Switronix EX-L96UD from B&H it was dead on arrival. No LEDs would light up, charger would not charge the battery. EX-1 camera would not boot up when powered by the battery with power cable attached. I left it on charge overnight, no effect.
A 2nd Switronix EX-L96UD arrived from B&H as a replacement. Again, no LEDs lit, it was indicating no charge upon arrival. I put it on the camera for a second to see if there was enough power coming out of the cable to boot. No dice. I put it on the charger and again the charger would not "see" the battery. No charger LEDs would light up to indicate charging or fully charged status. I wonder if B&H shipped back the SAME batt? I left it on charge overnight, no effect.

ALSO:
I have been using an EX-L96UD for about 8 months, no issues until yesterday.

I took a fully charged unit off charge. I checked the LEDs, all LEDs were lit. I set the battery aside. 12 hours later the battery has no LED's lit indicating no charge. When I put it on the Sony charger the charger does not "see" the battery, no charge LED on the charger lights up.

The battery is emitting a quiet mechanical click sound every 9 seconds, as if a breaker is being tripped in the the battery, resetting itself then tripping again.

This battery has had an easy life, used 4-10 times per month, no mechanical shock, no temperature extremes, not a rental item.

My charger works fine with OEM SONY BP-U series batteries. I don't think the charger is at fault.

Stephen Brenner March 12th, 2014 05:07 PM

Re: New Switronix EX-L96UD Battery problem DOA twice, 7 month old battery failing

Any chance you can try to charge the battery with a different charger?

Jack Zhang April 23rd, 2014 03:25 PM

Re: New Switronix EX-L96UD Battery problem DOA twice, 7 month old battery failing

Just posting to confirm I also have this problem. Previous issues were due to the pigtail being not fit flush to the sensor that detects whether the pigtail is plugged into the battery. (Unlike the SWIT battery, this Switronix's pigtail connection to the battery does not pass power to the battery terminals, it's merely a detection switch.) This caused the BC-U1 to malfunction, rapidly blinking orange.

Now it seems like a complete BMS (Battery Management System) failure. With evidence from more than one person, I do not believe B&H sent you the same battery back, as it looks like there is a batch aged 8 months or older that are having complete BMS failures.

I'm going to ask for an exchange for the upcoming coded version of the same battery. Also hoping it's not a design flaw with the battery that's causing it to fail after 8 months.

Jack Zhang April 24th, 2014 06:53 PM

Just sent my EX-L96UD to where I originally purchased it and they will perform a RMA if that's what has to happen. I'll bring my BC-U1 to the dealer for my replacement once it arrives to see before I take it home if it actually works. If my replacement has the same issue, it's going to be confirmed to be a batch issue.

Jack Zhang June 14th, 2014 12:12 AM

Just bumping to say it's been nearly 2 months since I sent my EX-L96UD in for an RMA and I still don't have my replacement. Switronix has not been in contact with the dealer that's handling my RMA and I fear my replacement may be held while they are R&Ding a fix for this issue, which clearly isn't an isolated incident.

Brent, are you still beta testing the new Switronix BP-U with your PMW-300?

I really don't like that Switronix has gone quiet since NAB with no word on any developments for new BP-U batteries.

Brent Kaplan June 14th, 2014 12:15 AM

Yes I'm still beta testing the battery, its been working fine, but I havent heard anything form my contact at Switronix since NAB.

Jack Zhang June 14th, 2014 12:26 AM

Thanks for the update. It is unsettling that there still isn't an update regarding a public release of said battery, when people are RMAing the current generation UD batteries, to not get a replacement.

Here's hoping we hear back regarding both the new battery and the fix for the current UD series.

Jack Zhang June 30th, 2014 11:14 PM

Okay, seriously, it's July 1st and my battery was sent in April 24th. Switronix still has not contacted anyone back regarding RMA status or replacing the UD batteries.

What gives?

Kevin Spahr July 10th, 2014 04:54 AM

Hey Switronix

I was really interested in these batteries, but after reading how you take care of your customers, guess what? I'm not too sure I would ever buy one.

I would bet I'm not the only person thinking that...

Jack Zhang July 12th, 2014 01:01 PM

My reseller was dealing directly with Switronix for the RMA, and they were supposed to call with updates. I haven't gotten any calls, and all calls I've made to the reseller have all resulted in them saying they have no updates.

What gives Switronix? In not honoring RMA replacements, they've basically abandoned their BP-U line leaving some customers who've sent in non-functioning batteries in limbo. They aren't completely dead, they've been pushing their V-mount batteries a lot more than their BP-U ones.

Jack Zhang July 17th, 2014 11:17 AM

Just got off the phone with my dealer, they have just received the replacement and I'll be checking the battery with my BC-U1 sometime tomorrow. Then, once the new updated coded battery is released, I'll put this one up for sale.

Jack Zhang July 18th, 2014 03:02 PM

Got my old battery back with the BMS fixed. $30 for the shipping between Canada and the US. Why would it take since April to do a fix on a battery instead of offering a new one?

Jack Zhang September 12th, 2014 09:34 PM

Another update, the reassembly they used for my warranty repair may have weakened the structure of the battery to a point where a fall may have popped open the bottom cover of the battery... My friend is fixing it right now. Electrically, it's fine, but the casing needs to be re-sealed.

I was literally appalled at the design of the detection switch for the pigtail. a flimsy piece of metal contacting the ground on the pigtail is all it is.

And then the kicker: Chinese work order stickers.

I spoke with an electrical engineer and the insides (including the battery cells) would only cost you around $50-60 in bulk. Makes the reduced markup inside China of $130USD for a SWIT S-8U63 make a lot more sense.

Bottom line: Assembled in the USA doesn't mean the components aren't Chinese.

Will Salley September 17th, 2014 09:15 PM

I have two of these batteries and both of them failed within six months. I bought them from two different dealers and neither would accept a return. Tried them in Sony and Dolgin chargers.

Jack Zhang September 19th, 2014 05:27 AM

Yeah, it's a complete failure after it no longer lights up. It's because the battery's internal BMS board has died.

Now I know it's certainly not an isolated incident and this could be why the new Switronix is being tremendously delayed.