DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   PMW-200 or PMW-320 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/522230-pmw-200-pmw-320-a.html)

Glen Vandermolen March 14th, 2014 06:11 AM

PMW-200 or PMW-320

Given a choice, with costs roughly the same, which used camera would you go for?

PMW-200 or PMW-320?

Alister Chapman March 14th, 2014 06:25 AM

Re: PMW-200 or PMW-320

For what application? Without knowing how you intend to use the camera it's impossible to say.

Do you need to be able to change lens, for example to shoot at long focal lengths from a tripod or do you need to be able to shoot hand-held while running around? Do you need 50Mb/s broadcast quality internal recordings or will you clients be more impressed by a large "professional" looking camera?

Glen Vandermolen March 14th, 2014 06:48 AM

Usage would be general, all around video production. That means tripod and hand held. Covering meetings and run and gun shoots. Corporate, training and broadcast. 50mbps, 4:2:2 is a plus, but not necessarily a deal breaker. But ask me that again in a year.
Use the lens that comes with the cameras. That's the budgetary constraint, no cash for longer lenses for the 320.

This would be your one, do-all camera. It has to do all of your shoots. I chose XDCAM because it's the most requested format out here.

Glen Vandermolen March 14th, 2014 09:11 AM

Are the internal picture settings for the PMW-200 closer to the ones from the EX cameras, or more advanced like in the PMW 350/320 series?

Alister Chapman March 14th, 2014 10:39 AM

PMW-200 has Hypergammas and the same scene file/Picture profile settings as the PMW-320/350/400 etc.

Picture quality will be almost exactly the same from either the 200 or 320, so if 50Mb/s is not an issue then it s down to which form factor suits you better.

Do also consider that the batteries for the 320 are more larger and more expensive plus you will need a more substantial (and thus more expensive) tripod for the 320.

Brian Murphy March 14th, 2014 12:22 PM

Though I am a newcomer here, I wanted to chime in. I use a PMW320 when I am working for a local TV station. I am not fond of it. There are the obvious 4.2.0 reasons and cost of good glass and batteries. But I am also not happy with the viewfinder, the ergonomics, and find the reach under when on stick to get to the zoom a pain. If you are going wireless for audio then you really should go with the slide in receiver from Sony and I am not fond of that system either having "hit" issues often. The stock lens is less than impressive. It is a rugged beast and I suppose if I were the guy making decisions at the TV station I would go for the 320 since it will be used by a number of operators and will probably stand up.
But, recently I decided that it would be a good idea to add to my camera inventory and get a camera that could cover for extra work at the tv station. I looked at buying a 320 but didn't. The camera I bought was a PMW300. Partly based on Alistair Chapman's review of two cameras that had caught my eye. the new Z100-4k and the PMW300. When I spoke to my friend Bill Kerrigan also a member here, I was convinced as he who has an EX3 is also going to go this route.
The cost in my country of a 320 is almost the same as a 300 and you get a much more versatile and somewhat future friendly camera. Great for an owner/operator but again not necessarily for a tv station or rental house.
I have had the PMW 300 for a couple of weeks, still have lots to learn about it and kitting it out but I just love the images, light weight and flexibility.
I wish you all the best in your decision and look forward to reading what you decide.
Brian

Shaun Roemich March 14th, 2014 01:15 PM

Since I bought my SxS cards, my PMW200 hasn't left 50mbps 4:2:2 mode if that helps at all.

I see a difference. Some say they don't.

YMMV.

As much as I LOVE shoulder cams (I entered the industry in the waning days of BetaSP production and shot BetaSX for 6 years at the Canadian National Public Broadcaster) I personally buy or rent "mid-sized" cameras like the EX1/EX3/PMW200 now for my work.

Shaun Roemich March 14th, 2014 01:16 PM

For the record, I use one of Alister's PP setups as the basis for my look with a few minor changes for a slightly sharper image right out of the camera with a TAD more noise suppression.

Meng Li March 15th, 2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich (Post 1836958)
For the record, I use one of Alister's PP setups as the basis for my look with a few minor changes for a slightly sharper image right out of the camera with a TAD more noise suppression.

Hi Shaun, just curious about your PP settings, can you exactly point out which one you are using? I have read Alister's previous post though. There were one in the initial post and several in the replies.

Glen Vandermolen March 15th, 2014 10:35 AM

I was informed by a local production company that they'd get some use out of a PMW-200 if I bought one. They have one, and sometimes need a twin for 2 camera shoots that need the 50mb, 4:2:2 codec.
That seals the deal for me. Of course, i could splurge a bit more and get the PMW-300. Either way, the 50mb codec seems to be the way to go.
Thanks for your input, guys.

Meng Li March 15th, 2014 10:50 AM

I actually really recommend to get a 300. You won't regret for it.

Glen Vandermolen March 15th, 2014 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meng Li (Post 1837030)
I actually really recommend to get a 300. You won't regret for it.

Oh, I agree...I'm not sure my budget agrees, though.

Andy Wilkinson March 15th, 2014 12:00 PM

Seconding Meng's comments.

The PMW-300 is a truly lovely beast - and don't forget it'll get a XAVC codec upgrade option this year which will give it (hopefully) a 5+ year type longevity just like my EX3 had. Maybe that will become a new replacement "industry workhorse codec", just like XCDAM has been/is right now. Time will tell. Unfortunately, when it comes to the PMW-300 this year that additional codec option appears unlikely to include a 1080p50/60 frame rate which would have been ideal for sports/slow motion in post type applications - see a post by Alister Chapman on here a while back - but I live in hope! Boo on you Sony if that's true.

Also, apart form a better build quality and design, superb viewfinder and of course the interchangeable lens option, the images will be very similar to PMW-200, just a little cleaner due to updated processing technology that Sony used due to it being a year younger in the PMW family.

Just saying...;-)

Alister Chapman March 15th, 2014 01:41 PM

Another +1 for the PMW-300 here. The build quality is so much better than the 200 and the new viewfinder is nice.

Rob Cantwell March 16th, 2014 06:14 AM

I see theres a PMW-300K1 and a PMW-300K2 whats the difference?
at a price of €8000 and €12000 I'll be holding on to my PMW 200 for a while yet.