DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   atomos ninjablade (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/522846-atomos-ninjablade.html)

Jim Stamos April 18th, 2014 06:35 PM

atomos ninjablade

Anyone used their products?
Thinkin bout buying this,have some all day shoots coming up
Would b easier with this than constantly changing out cards.
How proven is this product for reliability

Michael Sims April 18th, 2014 07:11 PM

Re: atomos ninjablade

I use their Samurai Blade recorder/monitor with my Sony PMW320 camera. It's fantastic.

Jim Stamos April 18th, 2014 07:21 PM

Did u still backup on sxs

Dave Sperling April 18th, 2014 08:46 PM

Would you go out without insurance?
Of course you should record to SxS cards as a backup!
All you need is someone to walk by and bump the cable the wrong way and your external recording could be compromised.
Put a couple of 64GB cards in the camera and you won't be swapping very often.

Jim Stamos April 18th, 2014 09:22 PM

Don't have Enuf cards,will figure something out,its from 830-630,not Enuf breaks to dump cards

Steven Digges April 19th, 2014 12:39 PM

Jim,

A great deal of my work is recording multi-day corporate conventions. For the last ten years my main recording system is going to external hard drives from a Sony Anycast so I have a perfectly switched program record. I have countless cases of DVCAM 184 tapes that were recorded as back ups and never touched again. About 10 months ago I finally had a hard drive failure and was unable to recover two, three hour presentations from a hard drive.

My back up at that show was in camera cards and I also record the ISO camera feeds to a second hard drive. Plus I retain a copy of PowerPoint slides. Thank God I was diligent for ten years! It was bound to happen sooner or later. This was later. I can still say I have NEVER had to go to a client and tell them I have an unrecoverable problem on my hands. Meeting planners get bad records all the time from AV companies. Not from me. I am not trying to sound cocky, it is the truth. I believe it is unprofessional not to back up a recording system with so much at stake.

Steve

Jim Stamos April 19th, 2014 08:10 PM

Most of my shoots aren't this long,its a 2 day recital
Plan on just buying some xtra Sony sxs adapters and
sandisc ultra class 10s.much cheaper than more sxs cards.
I plan on buying the blade.was very impressed with it at nab,very reasonable at 995.00

Bill Ward April 20th, 2014 08:35 AM

For a thousand bucks you could pretty much get three 64 gig XQD cards and have 12 hours of hot swapping shooting, without risk of a drive/cable failure.

Jim Stamos April 20th, 2014 09:53 AM

Xqd go in sxs slot on ex1r?

Matt Davis April 23rd, 2014 02:26 PM

I've used both the Pix220 and the Atomos Ninja2 - and now the Ninja Blade with my EX1Rs for conference record. In fact, I had a funky HD recorder that put a sort of 'fake' SxS card (USB2 interface) into the camera which then fed a bus powered spinning hard drive in a USB enclosure that was strapped to the camera.

All solutions worked well. The funky solution (called the SeXy) worked very well, got a little hot, but just sat there and did what I asked. Never missed a beat. the Pix220 was big and heavy. and to be honest - yes, I did have a few issues over time, but hey. I loved the audio inputs and the ability to loop through into the camera so that the EX1R had a high quality line input from the Pix for audio.

The early Ninjas didn't feel right. Not quite ready for prime time then. However, now I have the Ninja Blade and the Pix220 is semi-retired. I am super-happy with the Ninja Blade for all sorts of reasons.

I use SanDisk Extreme II SSDs which are now at a good price. 480GB will take on almost anything, and they're cost effective enough to have a couple knocking around per recorder (I still have the Pix). You can use Spinning Disk, and I would use that if I had 3 cameras recording 'iso' for 3 days, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Bottom line: Atomos Ninja has come of age with AtomOS 5.1.1, yes I consider it reliable, and unlike Pix it will use spinning drives when you need volume capture.

Jack Zhang April 23rd, 2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Stamos (Post 1842294)
Xqd go in sxs slot on ex1r?

I happen to have an EX1R and I'm happily using XQD cards via the XQD to Expresscard adapter. Make sure you're Firmware version 1.30 or later.