Mysterious Flicker from Sony PMW-EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 16th, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mysterious Flicker from Sony PMW-EX3

Having a problem with Sony PMW-EX3 image flickering when there's no reason it should be. It's happening quite often, and surprisingly, even outdoors. The "flicker reduce" function is not activated and no settings are on "auto". Apparently it happens when shooting in 1080p30 when the shutter is "off", and 1/50th. Here's a link to a short clip showing this phenomenon.

Password: flicker

Has anyone else experienced this? I appreciate your advice.

Last edited by Anthony Trotter; June 17th, 2014 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Change of URL address of reference video
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Mysterious Flicker from Sony PMW-EX3

Sounds like you have chosen the wrong shutter speed. Try 1/30 or 1/60, or even 1/120 and check again. If you are in PAL area then it's 1/(25n) while n is a positive integer you can use.
Meng Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 01:39 AM   #3
Major Player

I don't think so.. as it seems to happen outside without any lighting ... unless the sun is PAL/NSTC..:) judging from the clip.. very odd ..? flicker in natural light..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:04 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It happens in ALL environments, even sunlight. Flicker seems to come on strong at first, then dissipate, as if the camera's trying to automatically adjust itself. The other three cameras, EX1R, and PMW-200s do not have the same problem. Thought I'd give the forum a try before I talk to Sony.
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

For sure Sony will need to look at it - luckily I never saw that effect on my EX3 when I had one! The lack of this on your other cams also excludes the shot environment and any NLE conversion issues anyway. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Trustee

I had something like this flicker happen on an EX3 I rented and I believe it was a menu item which I had to disable. Happened outdoors. Your camera may have a different problem. I never ended up buying one so I don't have the fix memorized.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Interesting.... Anthony, perhaps it's worth doing a full camera reset before you talk to Sony (my guess is that they may well ask you to try doing that first anyway?)
Old June 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the advice, all. Andy, I will definitely try the camera reset. Do you think I should nuke all of the picture profiles first and load them again after the reset, or just reprogram the profiles from scratch?
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds