DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 to 4K (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/524189-ex1-4k.html)

Jamie Roberts July 20th, 2014 04:28 AM

EX1 to 4K

Hi there,

I'm a long time EX1 user among other cams. I'm still loving the EX1 after 5 or 6 years but am really interested in the potential of 4K for cropping to get 2 or 3 shots in 1 take.

As a doco maker I'd really like a 4K version of the EX1 to be honest and am wondering what other EX1 owners opinions are on the Sony PXW-Z100 (Am I going to notice the difference with the single sensor?) or any other 4K options available that could be a good option.

I've looked at the GH4, Blackmagic 4K but the rig I'm going to need to build around these cameras is going to be a pain compared to picking up a EX1 type camera and being ready to go! I need a workhorse like the EX1!

Cheers, Jamie

David Heath July 20th, 2014 06:22 PM

Re: EX1 to 4K

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1855780)
.......... opinions are on the Sony PXW-Z100 (Am I going to notice the difference with the single sensor?)

I can't see how it can be other than less sensitive in low light - that's a fundamental disadvantage to single chip over 3 chip (all else equal).

The other issue you may find is diffraction limiting severely limiting the usable aperture range. With a relatively small chip, you'll only be able to stop down a small amount before the image starts softening due to diffraction effects.

The only way over both those factors is to use a bigger chip, and I think the Z100 chip is actually a bit smaller than the EX1 (?) - but then you either have to accept a smaller zoom range or the lenses become bigger (and heavier, and expensive....). Unfortunately, that's all down to the laws of physics and the wavelength of light.

Jack Zhang July 20th, 2014 08:26 PM

Yes you will notice the difference from the different sensor, but not in the good way.

The Z100 has fixed pattern sensor noise even at 0db. This can reak havok on green screening and isn't ideal.

Not to mention the sensor in the Z100 is the exact same as in the Xperia Z1 and Z2, a cell phone. It's image area is only 1/3'' effective, since it's a native 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio sensor.

Honestly, the EX1 will perform better in low light than the Z100. The low light gets closer to the EX1 with the AX100, but 4K still has a way to go. The F5 surpasses the EX1, but it's a Super35mm sensor that is not run & gun friendly.

The AX100 is smaller than the EX1 and has miles better PQ than the AX100, but all 4K prosumer cams currently have worse rolling shutter than the EX1. (skew/flash banding)

Jamie Roberts July 21st, 2014 04:26 PM

I guess it was wishful thinking with the Z100. I may have reconsider the DSLR/BM4k rig but not keen.

Jack Zhang July 22nd, 2014 09:26 AM

At least the BM4K is global shutter, it has no skew or jello. Do keep in mind that sensor was not designed for video, but for industrial use like assembly line robots. The same goes with the BM URSA, and The AJA CION.

Mark OConnell July 22nd, 2014 01:28 PM

I’ve used the EX1 since they were released and my old EX1R is up for sale in the classifieds here. I’m currently using a Z100 and a GH4. I knew going in that the Z100 would have some issues, but it also has some benefits that I really wanted. My biggest gripe isn’t about sensor noise (though I often end up running the footage through Neat Video), but with the way it handles highlights. You’ve got to really watch it or you’ll lose the whites. And, as has been mentioned, you can forget about it in low light. On the other hand the 600mm zoom is fantastic and the lens is sharp. The XAVC codec is absolutely killer, very robust giving you lots a leeway in post. It’s 4K (duh), and it will shoot 4K at 60p. This last point was the one that really sold me. I spend a lot of time shooting wildlife and 60p at that resolution is for me a very big deal, one that makes up for other shortcomings. Bottom line- I’ve gotten some beautiful images with the Z100 but had to work harder to do it then I would’ve with the EX1.

My take on the GH4? I LOVE IT. It makes a great image and can take, with the appropriate adapter, any of my lenses. Everything the Z100 does poorly it does well. It can’t do 4K at 60p, but it can do low light with ease. It’s image is clean and its profile is discreet. If you get both you’ll be covered.

Z100 Clips:

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/...ht-4k-uhd.html

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/...ur-4k-uhd.html

Skateboard, Skateboarder, Skateboarding, Race, Extreme Sports, 4K Stock Video 39886652 | HD Stock Footage

GH4 clip

Bee, Bees, Honey Bee, Honeybee, Flowers, Pollinate, 4K, Uhd Stock Video 40005560 | HD Stock Footage

Jamie Roberts July 22nd, 2014 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1856068)
At least the BM4K is global shutter, it has no skew or jello. Do keep in mind that sensor was not designed for video, but for industrial use like assembly line robots. The same goes with the BM URSA, and The AJA CION.

I didn't know that! Judging by some of the video's I've seen produced by them, those robots should be able to make some killer films ;-)

Thanks Mark. Interesting to hear your thoughts. Maybe the GH4 could be my 4K toe in the water

David Heath July 22nd, 2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamie Roberts (Post 1855984)
I guess it was wishful thinking with the Z100. I may have reconsider the DSLR/BM4k rig but not keen.

If you can wait a while, there may be a lot to be said for that if you can stick with the EX1 a bit longer.

I'd expect quite a few more "true video" 4K cameras coming out in the next year. As you're probably already aware, going down the BM4K/GH4 has some merits, but you don't get the long zoom range and other ergonomic niceties of a dedicated video camera.

Jamie Roberts July 23rd, 2014 05:46 AM

I'd jump at a EX1 like 4k cam with decent size sensor! Might be worth waiting a bit longer.

Jeroen Wolf September 17th, 2014 02:57 PM

That would be the Sony FS7... A little on the pricey side compared to an EX1 but what a nice workhorse allround camera.

Jamie Roberts September 17th, 2014 04:51 PM

Love the look of it! I was about to build a set up around the A7s but will wait for one of these I think

Jeroen Wolf September 18th, 2014 01:59 AM

Same here ;-) It's a big investment for a docmaker but this camera seems to have a pretty good shelf-life. Especially if you invest in the extension unit for RAWand ProRes after a few years...

What else could you ask for? 6K? Fullframe? 3D?

Jamie Roberts September 18th, 2014 02:21 AM

Super 35 is good. I'm still producing work that is mainly either for 720p (Australia very behind in internet speeds still!) or DVD. 4k is appealing for cropping in post, awesome looking 1080 & future proofing. Love the idea of choice between using servo friendly lenses & adapting alternative lenses. The EX1 has been brilliant (still is!) I've had it for about 6 years and I reckon have only got the best out of it for the last 2! Hoping the FS7 will be as good to me as the EX1 has been!

Jeroen Wolf September 18th, 2014 02:45 AM

I still have an EX3 and before that I had the EX1 and an EX1R. Great camera's. For doc shooting I really like that (semi-) shouldermount. I started out shooting a doc on a GH2(!) but pulled out the EX3 for unpredictable situations. I tried rigs but how I hate them. Cables, batteries, stuff coming loose, clumsy in tight spaces...

I have a GH4 since a month or so and like that for running around, experimenting, personal projects... but nothing beats a shouldermount with XLR and a proper VF.

Jamie Roberts September 18th, 2014 02:56 PM

I have a rig set up around a BMPCC. Love the quality of the footage but as you say, all the add-on stuff is a pain for non- tripod filming. It will be interesting getting used to the extension arm on the FS7.