MTF EX3 TO Nikon Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 10th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
Major Player

MTF EX3 TO Nikon Adapter

I have just bought an MTF adapter to use a Nikon 80-200 mm AF-S lens with my EX3.

When I assemble the system I find that what should be the highest point of the lens circumference (e.g. the focus index) is positioned about 20 degrees clockwise from 12 o'clock when viewed from the front of the lens.

This does not cause a problem with the operation of the lens, but renders the petal pattern lens-hood unusable.

Is this normal, or am I missing something?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: MTF EX3 TO Nikon Adapter

I went through the same thing with my MTF Nikon adapter for my F3. The early production models of the adapter mounted the lens so the witness mark was clocked at an angle. For the F3 adapter they later refined their design to mount the lens with the witness mark straight up.

However, I never upgraded to the later adapter. I actually liked having a better view of the witness mark / focus distance markings while operating the camera.

So... I just rotate the petal lens hood(s) for my lenses enough to be at the proper orientation for the camera. No, they don't lock in place, but in more than three years of use I don't think one has ever fallen off either. Obviously don't try to hold the lens by the lens shade! - but we know better than to do that anyhow...

Or if it's a real bother you could ask MTF if they changed the orientation on later production models of the adapter, and whether it can be exchanged.

Of course for my 80-200 I have a completely round lens shade... And the reality of using Nikon lenses on an EX (because of its small sensor) is that no matter what the angle of the lens shade you shouldn't get any vignetting, so the issue is the shading angle -- and a piece of black paper tape will easily fill in the gaps in the petal hood.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 10:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for that.

I contacted Mike Tapa about this, and the gist of his reply is:

"The reason for the orientation of the Nikon mount is that we had a lot of requests from customers that wanted to be able to see the datum line on the lens more easily.
In most cases this worked quite well, however it does mean that any lens hood would also be rotated by 45°.
I have done redesign to eliminate this, but as the popularity of EX3 adaptors went down , that job went to the back in the schedule."

So it looks as though it is possible that a version with the lens aligned conventionally may re-appear.

Now I have had chance to use my new acquisition, I can see why the orientation of the lens was changed, and I am happy with it. I shall probably buy a cheap and cheerful 77 mm screw thread hood from Amazon and preserve my exotic Nikon flower!
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Major Player

On my 80-200 / 2.8 I use an HB7 lens shade (with no cut-outs)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2014, 01:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Thanks for that - I shall get one of those.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds