DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Is the Sony EX1 still a good camera? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/526022-sony-ex1-still-good-camera.html)

Sam Striano December 9th, 2014 04:20 PM

Is the Sony EX1 still a good camera?

My Father passed away recently and he left behind a Sony EX1. I would only be using it to shoot my kids sports, kids at the park, etc.

Is this still a good camera or should I be looking for something else?

Also, it has a Tiffen 77MM clear UV filter on it that has a slight haze over the glass, what is the best way to clean it?

Do I even need a filter?

Thanks in advance,
Sam

Josh Bass December 9th, 2014 08:57 PM

Re: Is the Sony EX1 still a good camera?

heck yes its a good cam! GREAT even! until 4k becomes standard for acquisition that cam should serve you very well. fully featured pro level camera with a very sharp lens.

are there newer hd cams with TECHNICALLY better specs and features? sure, but when you get down to it the average person wouldnt notice an improvement in image quality compared to the EX. unless you had a client demanding footage with a higher bitrate/better codec/better color space, i would say stick with that cam. if i myself had one i'd see no reason to upgrade til 4k shooting becomes standard.

Josh Bass December 9th, 2014 09:00 PM

re: filter-- some folks leave one on all the time to protect the lens, i dont. plus the ex has the barn door style lens cap.

cleaning? microfiber cloth/lens tissue and lens cleaning fluid. maybe canned air though thats one of those controversial topics. yes really.

Sam Striano December 9th, 2014 10:41 PM

Thanks for the feedback!! I am excited to get it going and shoot some footage.

Al Bergstein December 10th, 2014 12:14 AM

Sam, for shooting your kids and the like, you might want to get something less expensive. You should be sure you are aware of how much that camera is worth. Check recent ebay sales. It could be a good thing for you to sell it now, while it is still worth a lot, and use that money to find something more suitable to wandering around with your kids. It's really a pro camera and it still has a lot of value to a pro shooter. Just sayin'.

Andrew Smith December 10th, 2014 01:15 AM

Hi Sam,

I've used the EX1 as a B-cam (wide shots) with my super-wonderful Sony PMW-300 and it's been fantastic. (See sample video here where you will see a wide shot from the EX1 at the beginning.)

Andrew

Nick Fotis March 4th, 2017 07:38 PM

Hello there,

I have been offered a used EX1, I haven't seen her up close yet, but I am tempted.

Thinking about a camcorder that will complement my Canon dSLR in long form events.
Any caveats I should watch out for? Or should I look elsewhere?

N.F.

Andrew Smith March 4th, 2017 11:06 PM

I don't know the camera super well, but the one that I have used for wide shots was the main camera that was used to film the Return of the Catalina documentary.

See here:

(the seated interviews have been shot since the doco filming and with a different camera)

These days it is held together with gaff tape. Still works well as long as you don't mind using the slide out screen on the side.

The only thing that I can think of as being a limiting factor is that (to the best of my knowledge) its codec for HD video is limited to 35Mb/sec so it doesn't do the 50Mb/sec that my PMW-300 will. That said, to me it is still a solidly good camera. It will likely be just as good today as it was back then.

Andrew

Giroud Francois March 5th, 2017 03:48 AM

the ex-1 has an excellent pictrue, unfortunately it is crippled with many problems that makes it an average camera.
The the proprietary media format (SxS cards) is obsolete (at least for fullHD).
The ergonomic of the camera is bad (unbalanced and too heavy)
Some bugs (like the white labels on the case that are fading, or the battery draw even when camera off).
The EX1-R was a lot better camera
All in one if you got it , it is a nice camera to use for picture quality, but the resale value is very low.
So keep it.

Leslie Wand March 5th, 2017 05:17 AM

still a GREAT camera. am thinking about picking up a second as a back up!

Boyd Ostroff March 5th, 2017 05:52 AM

Still very happy with mine. I don't shoot a whole lot these days though and really haven't kept up with newer models. The only think that sometimes bothers me is there can be a slight "jerk" if you try to ease into a slow zoom. Seems to me this was an issue we discussed here a number of years ago, and it may have only affected some cameras.

Dan Gunn March 5th, 2017 07:02 AM

I still use mine! I bought three when they first came out (years ago). I kept one when I downsized my business. I have never had a single problem BUT it is getting old.

One of my friends borrowed mine but he used it with an external SDI recorder. The footage was cut with that from his current EXPENSIVE Sony camera. Hard to tell which camera was used on different scenes.

I have been looking at the current generation of fixed lens Sony cameras but the models I can afford seem to be plagued with lens problems.

The lens on the EX1 cameras seems to be it's strongest feature. I guess I will use it a few more years.

Bill Ward March 5th, 2017 07:25 AM

Sam: if the filter is hazy, just replace it. I'm a big fan of the B+W clear nano-coat filters, and they're cheap insurance against damaging the prime element of the lens. But yeah, if it's still fully functioning, it's a great little camera.

Jim Nogueira March 5th, 2017 08:20 AM

If anyone is thinking of getting one, go for the EX1R. It is a significant improvement over the original EX1.

Nick Fotis March 5th, 2017 08:29 AM

Well, not that many EX1Rs circulate here in Greece... :-)

N.F.