PXW-X160 and PXW-X180 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 13th, 2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Major Player

PXW-X160 and PXW-X180

Hi, People I have one of these new cameras and I must say the Stock colour setting are so bad, the image looks washed out, Blacks are very light, and skin tones look muddy. Yet it looks good on the Camera LCD. I have gone back to my old EX camera till i can sort this. I am in PAL Land, not sure if it makes a difference. Has any one got any setting worked out yet, and i wonder if its Sonys new capture software screwing with the captured footage. I tested it in all 3 Codecs no real difference in colour.
Thanks.

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: PXW-X160 and PXW-X180

Which camera is it that you have?
I have a PXW-X180 and have adjusted it so I come extremely close to matching settings I have on my other Sony cameras (EX1, F3, A7s). None of these are stock settings -- all based on adjusting picture profiles to get en editable 'matching color' when shooting several.
I can share if you want.
The one 'problem' I've had with the X180 is that the LCD screen looks TOO good. - it looks so much better than the flip out LCD on the F3 that it's easy to think that the image is that much better. Don't try to match or make adjustments using the camera viewfinders - use a GOOD monitor (such as an OLED)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
The one 'problem' I've had with the X180 is that the LCD screen looks TOO good. - it looks so much better than the flip out LCD on the F3 that it's easy to think that the image is that much better. Don't try to match or make adjustments using the camera viewfinders - use a GOOD monitor (such as an OLED)
I Have the 180, and yes this is what i was look for thanks, i would like to try them out. my email is robert@rpbproductions.com thank for the offer to share, I will let you know how i go.

Old March 15th, 2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks , I will let you know how i go

Old March 28th, 2015, 01:21 PM   #5
Trustee

Would you be able to share those settings here?
Sure many would appreciate it.
:)
Old March 28th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Robert, have you ever played with the WiFi on the X180? I just got mine, and have spent the last 5 hours trying to figure it out. I got to the point where I thought I was 50% working, but the WiFi keeps disconnecting from my Smartphone every 2-3 minutes! When it disconnects, the WiFi signal from the N50 WiFi module on the camera vanishes from my WiFi sweeper app, it essentially goes off the air.

And to make any setting adjustments for internet network connections, or to change live streaming settings, you must access the camera from AN INTERNET BROWSER. You cannot even as far as I know initiate an FTP, or see the status of an FTP from the camera without an external device. If I need to tap a screen on my smartphone to play around with FTP, then I can just take the SD card out and shove it into an OTG SD card reader and direct FTP from the device I would have to use anyway to see and operate the camera! Very infuriating.

I think I should have gotten the X160 that was $1500 cheaper, this WiFi is useless in features, even if I could get it working. My stations JVC HM650's simply autoconnect to my phones HotSpot already saved in the camera after running a network connect wizard, then you hit a live button and the camera tells you if it's connected properly. This camera will show a STREAM icon, which simply tells you that you have set the stream setting to on. It has absolutely no relevance to if you are streaming anything, or if you have left the destination server settings blank or default.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2015, 07:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

now you have had these a while what's your thought's
Terry Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:54 PM   #8
Trustee

My camera is still at Sony Service for repairs.........below are my custom calibrations, which I think work pretty well. :)

And if you think the LCD on the X160/180 looks too good, you should see the one on the X70!

BLACK On
Master Black: -1
R Black: +4
B Black: +3

MATRIX On
Adaptive Matrix On
Preset Matrix On 2:ITU709
User Matrix On
Level 0
Phase: -8
User Matrix G-B: -13
User Matrix B-G: -35

MULTI MATRIX On
B: +4/+13
MG-: +16/+20
R: 0/-14
YL: -21/+4
YL+: -10/+10
G-: -40/+55
CY: +20/+71
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:47 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Robert, have you ever played with the WiFi on the X180? I just got mine, and have spent the last 5 hours trying to figure it out. I got to the point where I thought I was 50% working, but the WiFi keeps disconnecting from my Smartphone every 2-3 minutes! When it disconnects, the WiFi signal from the N50 WiFi module on the camera vanishes from my WiFi sweeper app, it essentially goes off the air.
Paul did you apply Firmware Update 3.0 to your X180 and try the networking feature out?
I getting to up date my X180 partially for the Variable ND Filter feature and partially for the LTE streaming feature.
Doug
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
Which camera is it that you have?
I have a PXW-X180 and have adjusted it so I come extremely close to matching settings I have on my other Sony cameras (EX1, F3, A7s). None of these are stock settings -- all based on adjusting picture profiles to get en editable 'matching color' when shooting several.
I can share if you want.
Dave,

I realize this is an old thread but I have recently upgraded from my dinosaur (Z1U) to the X180, I've got a huge learning curve ahead of me and don't know where to start with the picture profile. If you would share your picture profile and any other tips it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You,
David Helmly
david@trailwatcher.net
David Helmly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2016, 01:05 PM   #11
Major Player

I just noticed this when searching this forum for X180 settings:
Help with X180 detail settings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not happy with the detail values in my X180. On or off they seem pretty crappy, and my current values, semi derived from PMW200 recommendations, really suck Everything has a kind of blurry smeared look, lighted and close in, but way off in the background in wide shots, things like lights or reflections from chrome bumpers (night!) have that SD looking black halo around them.

My current settings are below, if anyone can recommend better settings, please do! Again, things like interviews and shots of cars in front of me are smeared and lack definition, but distant detail has that stupid edge halos/ringing and stuff. I shoot in 720p59.94, and export out in crappy 18Mbps HDV for broadcast......I don't chose the broadcast codec so don't make fun of me. :)

Master level 0
H/V ratio +20
Crispening -50
Level Depend On
Frequency +30
Knee aperture On

Paul
Old April 6th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #12
New Boot

Douglas Call, it's amazing how little info can be found on the X160 and X180 picture profiles but it sounds like Dave Sperling has some good info for our cameras.
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:12 AM   #13
Major Player

The above X180 setting were provided by Paul Anderegg:
Here is a recap of his more complete list of settings:

And if you think the LCD on the X160/180 looks too good, you should see the one on the X70!

BLACK On

MATRIX On
Adaptive Matrix On
User Matrix On
Level 0

MULTI MATRIX On

Did Dave Sperling also post some X180 settings?
Old April 7th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #14
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Call View Post
The above X180 setting were provided by Paul Anderegg:
Here is a recap of his more complete list of settings:

BLACK On

MATRIX On
Adaptive Matrix On
User Matrix On
Level 0

MULTI MATRIX On

Did Dave Sperling also post some X180 settings?
He didn't post any but in the second post of this thread he offered to share them with the op.
Old April 7th, 2016, 04:00 PM   #15
Major Player

I haven't posted settings since the way things have worked out I'm always using the X180 in conjunction with other cameras -- so the current settings I've been using are designed to provide a good match to several other cameras (F3, EX1, PMW200, A7s, FS7) for each of which a 'best match' picture profile has been created as well. Thus the look that comes out of the various cameras is designed not for 'best look' but for 'closest match' -- to give the editors something very close from all the cameras, which makes it easier for them to apply an overall correction later in post. I've been surprised how well the X180 can match - even with the F3 and FS7. (I have the most trouble with getting the PMW200 close.) The great zoom range of the X180 has made it ideal for combining with other cameras, particularly useful for the shot from the back of the ballroom/theatre/club. In the last year I don't think I've used it more than 4 or 5 times on its own - hence the color match issue has been extremely important.
Thus, although I wouldn't day that my settings look bad, I would say that my adjustments also haven't been done to specifically optimize the look from the X180.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds