DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Current/modern/smart way to copy SxS cards? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/527392-current-modern-smart-way-copy-sxs-cards.html)

Reg Gothard March 22nd, 2015 01:34 PM

Current/modern/smart way to copy SxS cards?

Hi,
What's the current/modern/smart way to copy SxS cards (Windows solution, ideally, not Mac)
I've been using SxS cards for 5 or 6 years - but I've been using the same hardware/software for that whole time - 8GB and 16GB SxS cards in an Acer Travelmate 7730 with an ExpressCard slot, using WinXP SP3 (wasn't broke - didn't need to fix it).
Just bought myself a couple of SBP64C 64GB SxS cards as a risk reducing measure. Sony's specs are somewhat chaotic and contradictory, but after much reading, I had come to the conclusion that with updated SxS drivers, current laptop specs would work.
They don't. WinXP keeps trying and failing to install drivers, but I can't work out what is lacking.

So with the clock ticking towards my busy season, I have to decide among the following:
> OS upgrade only
No guarantee that the hardware is compatible. May have to resort to further upgrades anyway.
> New laptop with ExpressCard
New laptops with ExpressCard seem to be as rare as rocking horse droppings these days.
> Sony SBAC-US30 SxS card reader.
Current laptop is only USB2.0, so copy times will become unacceptably long.
Also, no guarantee that current laptop will support the card reader, with or without OS upgrade.
> New laptop, plus above card reader.
Cost becomes a worrisome consideration for my modest-sized business, but if this is what it takes...
> Another option that I don't know about.
I also need redundancy - I currently have two identical laptops to cover me in the event of failure of one. So whatever solution I end up with will need to have equivalent backup/redundancy.
Advice greatly appreciated.

Jack Zhang March 24th, 2015 06:35 PM

Re: Current/modern/smart way to copy SxS cards?

Get Ubuntu for your current laptop and a USB 2.0 ExpressCard reader. They haven't yet made a SxS driver for Linux, so using USB and making it a USB Mass Storage device should work.

Linux is updated with security updates where as XP is no longer so.

Dave Sperling March 29th, 2015 09:16 PM

Re: Current/modern/smart way to copy SxS cards?

If you're used to transferring only 8 or 16 gig cards, the time for a 64 gig card on a slow system will be huge.

About 3 years ago i bought an Asus B53S as a PC for transfers - with windows 7 pro, i7, durl graphics processors and an expresscard slot, USB3 and eSata connections. Cost less than 1K back then - provides fast transfers when going to a USB3 or eSata drive. I think some of them may still be available. Transferring a 32GB card to a reasonably fast USB3 drive takes about 6 minutes. I think an expresscard slot cam still be found on some of the newer and bigger Lenovo laptops.

I'd highly recommend that you get a machine with ports faster than your current laptop's. (How old is it, anyhow? My old XP desktop is almost 14 years old and still works, but I don't use it for transfers.)