Aftermarket BP-U battery % remaining at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 1st, 2015, 07:26 AM   #1
Trustee

Aftermarket BP-U battery % remaining

I have a Watson BP-U30. The first time I used it, it had --- instead of minutes remaining. The next few times, it displayed 120-130 minutes remaining. Now, a few more charges, and it is back to --- remaining. This is on a PXW-X180. Is this a faulty battery, or do aftermarket BP-U batteries simply not display time remaining?

PAUL
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2015, 10:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Aftermarket BP-U battery % remaining

It may just be that specific brand. Can you find a "SWIT S-8U63" to test on? This is the aftermarket battery most rental houses around here offer.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:23 AM   #3
Trustee

No Swit for me to test. I looked at their batteries, but their BP-U60 seems to be the size of a BP-U90, due to that power tap they put on it. I just went ahead and bought a used Swit dual charger for $90. Figured I will be fine hot swapping cheap batteries if the time remaining displays aren't reliable. My Sony BP-U30 says 30 minutes minimum at 2 LED's, and 15 minutes minimum at 1 LED.

The Watson showed 148 minutes when I turned it on earlier tonight, but now it is down a few bars and back to ---.

Paul
Old April 2nd, 2015, 02:34 AM   #4
Inner Circle

My experience with aftermarket batteries on Sony camera is that they are not always correct in the information they show, unlike all original Sony batteries which are accurate until the last minute of power they supply.

I also once had experienced a camera shut down mid recording saying the battery is not a original one. This is one of the reasons I never use a aftermarket battery in a camera where I have to be 100% sure how much longer I have left to record.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:36 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It seems Sony slightly changed how the battery data is read on newer cameras so third parties had to update their batteries. You need the SWIT S-8U63 with the blue strip, not the red one, for the PXW-FS7, the X160 and X180. All new SWIT batteries with the blue strip on the battery label should be compatible with the X180.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:24 AM   #6
Trustee

Sony going and messing something as simple as power up!

I just ordered a 95 watt DSTE BP-U tat is slightly shorter than a Sony BP-U60. I would rather have double the runtime for 1/4 the price than a battery gauge reminding me of how much I spent for so little amount of minutes. I will be hot swapping batteries on the charger after each news story, so I call these "burner bateries". At $60 (vs $240!) a piece, expendability is expected.

Paul
Old April 6th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Sony going and messing something as simple as power up!
They are not messing it up, they just don't want you to use a after market battery.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Sa battery gauge reminding me of how much I spent for so little amount of minutes.
Wow.

You would have/must have hated the days of BP-1 "chocolate bar" batteries than BRAND NEW ran a Betacam for MAYBE 45 minutes if you were lucky.
Old April 6th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #9
Trustee

NP1, and on my first Betacam, I had that dual NP1 piggyback mounting system. :-)

Paul
Old April 6th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Yup. NP1. 1A and !b were the 13.2 and 14.4V versions.

Not sure how I came up with BP-1.

D'oh!

We didn't have the dual mounts but we DID have the "black tie edition" nylon belt packs, which at 10 lbs or so gave me ALMOST 3 hours of shooting if fully charged for a Betacam BVW-507 w. PVV1 or 3 BetaSP back
Old April 7th, 2015, 07:10 AM   #11
Major Player

ahhh....those were the days when Betacam strode the Earth as a colossus....
Bill Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Trustee

Well, plunked down $60 for a DSTE 114 watt BP-U60 size battery. The time remaining feature actually functions full time, unlike the Watson which displays 120 minutes at first, then goes to --- after that. The DTSE starts with 345 minutes, but looses over DOUBLE the minutes the camera is actually powered up for, so I have to do divide by 2 conversion in my head. Still, a LOT of energy in a small package for a small amount of money, I like it. It also has a blue stripe on the back. :)

Paul
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:38 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Paul, can you please tell your experience with the dtse aftermarket battery now that a few months have passed from your post. Thanks
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:45 PM   #14
Trustee

They last much longer than the similarly sized Sony OEM versions, and the "off" factor of time remaining is consistent, so you can do a quick mental math calculation for time remaining. I for instance know my camera will power off when the time remaining says 15 minutes! Unfortunately, one of the chips in my 2 DSTE batteries died, so the battery will charge and show voltage on the charger, but the LED fuel gauge will not work and it will not power up on the camera. DSTE said I could mail it back to Asia for a replacement.

For the $$ though, it is definitely worthwhile! I also started buying their NPF batteries as well.

Paul
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks for that info mate. Is it true that if for some reason the camera powers off while recording you will loose the footage if using the SxS to sdxc card adapter?
George Palmier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds