X180 lens issue - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #61
Trustee

Re: X180 lens issue

Well, finally, a YEAR LATER, Sony has issued a firmware revision specifically to fix this lens issue. This would have been nice before they sent me a brand new camera which I sold new in box for only $3000, taking quite a loss from my original purchase price.

Ugh...
Attached Thumbnails
X180 lens issue-capture.jpg  
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 10:25 PM   #62
Trustee

much too late indeed ;-(

i've given up even looking at new cameras, well, at least till they've been on the market for at least a year, which of course then makes them almost obsolete ;-)
Old November 9th, 2017, 04:35 AM   #63
Trustee

UPDATE: Have my hands on a new X180 demo from Sony for testing. Hard infinity stop still blurs out noticeably. Also, backfocus does not track correctly, zooming in, then zooming out even 10-20%, you can see it loose focus. If I zoom to 100%, find proper exact focus, then zoom out 50% in manual, the image will be soft...if I slide the ring forward for AF, the image will then find focus and become sharp. The X180 EXCELLENT standard style peaking function makes this vey easy to see, as it shimmers with detail when it hits correct focus.

Moral of the story...still an amazing and underated camera, just recognize this focus issue and adjust your shooting style and you will be a happy camper. Hoping the X180 replacement will someday arrive with functioning backfocus. :)

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds