X180 lens issue - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 26th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #31
Trustee

Re: X180 lens issue

Here is a demonstration of the focus shift/twittering.......I think twitter is a good word for what it is doing.
I looked to Jesus for help demonstrating the problem. :)

Make sure you watch in 1080p60 for maximum flickerosity.

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #32
Trustee

I hope that this clip demonstrates that I am not just ultra picky when it comes t the gear I buy, but can't accept a professional broadcast device that behaves in this manner, or like the X200. These cameras are not suitable for EFP in my professional opinion. Issues like the clip above would NEVER be accepted by a client paying money for quality footage.

Paul
Old June 26th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #33
Trustee

having followed your trials and tribulations i can fully understand, and sympathize, with your frustration and anger...

it appears everyone connected with 'prosumer' equipment is rushing to get units out the door at such a pace that the 'pro' aspect is pretty much in the realms of hype rather than practicality.

thankfully i'm pretty much out of the broadcast area these days, but i too would certainly be raising a fuss with what you've experienced. unfortunately i don't think anyone at sony is particularly concerned or worried by such problems / bugs just as long as the shelves are cleared before the next model is all to soon released...
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:47 PM   #34
Trustee

I will say this for Sony. Besides the problems which mostly seem to be f/w related or limited, the hardware and functionality is still above and beyond the competition. I couldn't' imagine replacing my X180 with a Panasonic or JVC equivalent.

Paul
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:32 AM   #35
Trustee

i would also agree with you on that observation too.

my ex1 serves me as well as its predecessor, the z5. solid, robust and reliable...
Old June 27th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #36
Inner Circle

EX1R has been reliable at live events as well for 3 years, only recently has the only major issue been the LCD screen detection switch, but none of the critical electronics have failed, and I bought REFURB at time of purchase!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 01:37 AM   #37
Major Player

I don't know what's been wrong with Sony lately. On their cheap consumer gear such as DSLRs, mirrorless cams etc. there have been significant improvements regarding the AF or focus aid systems resulting in faster, more accurate focus with less hunting, overshooting-and-correcting, or pulsating (twittering in Paul's speak) and other anomalies. While on their more expensive or professional gear things have gone backwards in focus/zoom performance and reliability. I remember my Sony FX1 (Z1) HDV cam's focus and zooming were totally reliable in both AF and full servo MF modes with no end stops. Then I had the EX1R with its hybrid lens setup, that operated reliably in all focus modes including the full manual with hard stops. The AF may have been rather slow but that's understandable given the complexity of the hybrid servo lens design. Then these newer, reliability-challenged cameras. Fortunately for me I only works with small Sony handycams and cellphones nowadays!
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2015, 03:13 AM   #38
Inner Circle

I still have my EX1R. 1080p 60p came too late for me to consider it in that form factor. I'm skipping straight to 1'' type 4K 60p if and when it comes.
Old June 30th, 2015, 05:13 PM   #39
Trustee

Just got off the phone with a not very friendly Sony tech support person. He didn't even want to see the video clip. Said there is no adjustments that can be made to the back-focus, but said to send it in so they can look it over.

Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get a camera back once you send it in? :(

Paul
Old July 1st, 2015, 01:56 AM   #40
Regular Crew

I think it differs by country and region, but at least 1 week, possibly longer if parts are needed which they don't have in stock..
Ask for a loaner unit so you can carry on working.
Sony UK are reasonably good...not sure about the US (and different regions)!
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2015, 04:59 PM   #41
Inner Circle

In my city we have a Sony Authorized service center which are the same people which helped IFHT make the "How to be a Filmmaker" short. I sent my EX1R to get fixed there.

Happy to report the camera is cleaned and no LCD issues.
Old July 6th, 2015, 06:23 AM   #42
Trustee

Here is another clip of the problem at the worse I have ever experienced it. That is a huge focus shift from just lightly touching the zoom rocker! First half in AF, second half in full manual. :(

Old July 6th, 2015, 06:56 AM   #43
Trustee

that's absolutely appalling. sony should be ashamed of selling the camera ;-(
Old July 6th, 2015, 09:22 AM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
that's absolutely appalling. sony should be ashamed of selling the camera ;-(
I'd agree if I could replicate the zoom rocker problem on my X180, but so far (I've had it for 8 months) I've never experienced that kind of softening from using the zoom rocker. Since my camera doesn't exhibit the problem, my guess is that we should be blaming maintenance/service for not being able to repair the issue. I'd bring the camera in with a copy of the video so they can clearly see the problem.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 03:18 AM   #45
Regular Crew

I've just tried to replicate this too, with the X180 at 18db in manual focus mode and very slow zooms and/or just nudging the zoom rocker and it does not loose focus or shift/twitter.
Maybe you could save and upload your full X180 camera settings (All File save) and I can load them and see if I can replicate it.
I was going to add this potential focus problem as a Con of my upcoming review of this camera, but I'll hold off and maybe add it as an update later if it's confirmed with more than just your camera.
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds