X180 lens issue - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 7th, 2015, 06:34 AM   #46
Trustee

Re: X180 lens issue

as an addendum to my earlier comment - i was referring to paul's camera in particular - however, there was a lens problem with early releases of the ex1 if i remember correctly, sort with a firmware update?

as suggested i would certainly take camera and footage in to sony and complain...
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #47
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
I'd agree if I could replicate the zoom rocker problem on my X180, but so far (I've had it for 8 months) I've never experienced that kind of softening from using the zoom rocker. Since my camera doesn't exhibit the problem, my guess is that we should be blaming maintenance/service for not being able to repair the issue. I'd bring the camera in with a copy of the video so they can clearly see the problem.
When I had tech support on the phone, they refused to look at my clips on YouTube. I get the feeling they will send it back with a note saying they could not replicate the problem, and stick me with a bum camera.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2015, 04:14 PM   #48
Trustee

Sony finally called about my X180. They said they cannot reproduce any claimed issues, so I sent them the YouTube video link of the SUV with it's butt in the air. They said that is definitely NOT right, most likely a lens issue. I thought it was an LCD issue, but I am not an engineer. :-)

As for the infinity hard stop blur, they claim that doesn't exist, but as i have recorded video from both of my 180's that do that 100% of the time, I will conclude that is a design flaw they will not admit to.

Since my camera has been gone for a few weeks, I bought an HPX600 with 22x lens. :-)

Paul
Old July 21st, 2015, 05:42 PM   #49
Inner Circle

I had lens issues with my FX1, NX5U and FDR-AX1 when I bought them and Sony changed the lens on all these for me under warranty. I look very carefully now when I get a new Sony and check the lens for all the issues that are important to me in the first few weeks. They all had back focus issues and out of focus points across the frame. New lens solved the problem on all of them. Likely a quality issue rather than basic design I expect.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #50
Trustee

It's now been a month since I sent in my X180..........it shows on their website as "repair in progress". I wonder how many months it should normally take to repair something with 50h on it?

Paul
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #51
Trustee

that's pretty lame - have you followed up with them to find out what's going on?
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:24 PM   #52
Trustee

I guess I will call tomorrow to find out. The service center is only the next county over from me. The only contact they made was when they called me to tell me they could not find a problem with the camera. :-\

Paul
Old August 27th, 2015, 06:23 PM   #53
Trustee

Sony finally returned my X180, 6 weeks later. They replaced the lens and aligned the camera. Seems to be working as when new. This did not fix the slight out of focus condition when at the infinity hard stop. That seems to be an unwanted "feature" of this particular model.

Paul
Old August 27th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #54
Trustee

Paul - I gotta hand it to ya. For all the troubles you’ve had with this, ahem … professional cam,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Sony finally returned my X180, 6 weeks later. They replaced the lens and aligned the camera. Seems to be working as when new. This did not fix the slight out of focus condition when at the infinity hard stop. That seems to be an unwanted "feature" of this particular model.
…. you seem to have taken it pretty well. It’s not everyone who would’a taken this hard stop condition as a ‘feature’.

On the plus side, with a little bit of levity like that it should add, instead of subtract, to your life expectancy.

On my end, instead of going with the X70 last summer (partially thanks to your ‘rave’ reviews) I couldn’t wait any longer and decided to opt for the AX100 (which you haven’t touched!). The plan is to use use it for a B-cam when a good ‘A-cam’ shows up. Got a JuicedLink pre for the XLR inputs so it’ll be used that way.

6 weeks, though, that’s a L-o-o-n-g time. They probably had to get approval from the home office then get parts from Japan or China.

Good luck with the repair job and hope this helps with the nightly news reports.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2015, 05:02 PM   #55
Trustee

Thanks john....I did own a CX900 for a few months!

And the camera is on it's way BACK to Sony......again. The backfocus was not correctly aligned when the new lens was installed, so the camera will be slightly out of focus when you zoom. Cameras should not get blurrier when you zoom out from telephoto. :-\

The levity comes from getting to play with my tiny X70 during the wait. Can you imagine if I didn't have a station isssued rig and secondary camera, and had a freelance business to operate full time?!?!?!

Paul
Old September 17th, 2015, 04:42 AM   #56
Trustee

My X180 just arrived back from Sony for the second time, to adjust and fix the back-focus.

Well, the backfocus is still out, but now I have v3.00 firmware, is that even released yet? Kept seeing new menu features and didn't know what was up so I checked my version.

So now I need to press Sony to replace my camera whole.........gots me a lemon. :(

Paul
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:51 AM   #57
New Boot

Update on all this.

I have had my 180 for I think over a year now..... had been great up until just tonight.

The floating focus and out of focus while zooming has just started. Missed some crucial shots tonight cause it wouldnt stay in focus. Full manual and it would just suddenly jump to a blurred image.

Will attempt to get it looked at and see how it goes. Other than this issue, its been a great little cam.
Dean Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:18 PM   #58
Trustee

I know a lot of people may think I am a nitpicker and always complaining about these Sony lenses, but I think it is crucial that people are aware of these problems, so they can test their new purchase out and be within warranty if they see the same issue happening to them.

Paul
Old October 23rd, 2016, 07:46 AM   #59
Major Player

Paul, Sony obviously has a problem and should own up to it. Completely unacceptable behavior.

I have already ordered the Z150 and if it is a lemon I am going to raise a ruckus!!!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2016, 01:00 AM   #60
Trustee

:-|

Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds