X200 lens issue - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 26th, 2015, 06:02 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: X200 lens issue

Canon KH21EX5 7 Iase SX12 1 2" BCTV Broadcast Professional Zoom Lens | eBay

21X5.7, WITH EXTENDER, AND BEST OF ALL, f1.4 CONSTANT APERTURE!

They have been selling them off for around $4000 obo. f1.4 would be 2 stops BRIGHTER at maximum telephoto than the EX lenses at f2.8 ramping.
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Yes, it's the familiar soft bump followed by a click, as if something is getting stuck in the boot up process.
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Trotter View Post
Yes, it's the familiar soft bump followed by a click, as if something is getting stuck in the boot up process.
What's likely is they tried to port code and tolerances from the old lens on this new lens assuming slight changes instead of writing from scratch would suffice. Who knows, it may be the same backfocus part, but it's still A NEW LENS. It's either in the lens or the camera firmware. (most likely lens firmware)
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2015, 08:10 PM   #19
Trustee

The fact that it works perfectly then decides to randomly go bonkers suggests it's a firmware problem.

Paul
Old June 29th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #20
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Anderegg View Post
Arggggg!

Well, I have identified design flaws in the X180 lens and the X200 lens. I am glad I decided to ditch the X200 series all together now. I will stick with the lesser problematic X180.

Can't believe I paid $6800 USD for a camera with a design flaw........ugh.

Again, where can we report this issue to Sony?

Paul
And how could Sony have not put an OLED viewfinder on the X200? My Sony point & shoot A6000 has a better viewfinder than the $7000 X200! Hoping JVC or Canon will come up with some new 1/2" camera.
Jon Delano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #21
Regular Crew

** Update ** Sony Tokyo has seen the video of the malfunctioning lens, and says "high possibility of focus component’s defect (It is rare case but known problem)". I will be taking it in for repair. Hopefully will be able to trust the camera when I get it back.
Anthony Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:43 PM   #22
Trustee

What the heck? This makes no sense. Sony USA REFUSED to look at the focus problem videos I put on YouTube, yet Sony Japan will look at videos. It's almost as if they care more, and that Amurican workers suck. :-)

Hey Anthony, could you get them to look at my X180 lens issue thread videos and see if they are aware of that problem?

Paul
Old July 21st, 2015, 05:58 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Great to hear that Sony will take a look at it. I am surprised that Sony here in the States wouldn't take a look at the camera. My experience over the years with them is that they are quite responsive. I was thinking of picking up an x200, but will wait a bit.
Old August 11th, 2016, 01:53 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Damn thing happened again.......had to revert to my station issued HM790 to complete my live shot. It was most definitely in full blown MACRO, and I was in manual focus near infinity. No amount of focus pushing, pulling, spinning could resolve it. Powered off and back on, worked OK for a few seconds then banged back in full blown MACRO. Ran back to my car and threw the POS in the back seat and pulled out my trusted hated JVC HM790....live shot saved.

There is no way this can be a common problem, or one that can in any way be acceptable. I have used this camera for 2 nights, and on both nights, it faulted and could not be reliable enough to complete a live television broadcast. Unbelievable Sony, unbelievable. Both times I was hooked up to the SDI out connection. Maybe there is a glitch in the firmware or something. Is there a way to submit a problem report to Sony on this?

This camera HAS TO GO BACK, there is no way I am going to get in hot water with my news director for missing live shots due to using my own "faulty" gear.
Hello, Everyone actually I am a new member on this forum. I am looking for a new camcorder and shortlisted SONY PXW X 200 and PANASONIC AJ PX 270. I have used PXW X 200 for two days for full day shoot during an event and I am also notice this focusing issue during fast pan and zoom in and some time on a crucial moment focus not come back at right point in both manual and auto position it will take more time to come back and some important shots was lost and it was worst when shoot in low light on the other hand the image quality of this camcorder is very good but I am unable to decide due to this focus issue. I have not any experience with AJ PX 270 because it is not available on rent in my area. Has anyone compare this camera with PXW X200 and provide side by side comparison of these camera in respect of image quality and focusing issue.
Paul
This camera HAS TO GO BACK, there is no way I am going to get in hot water with my news director for missing live shots due to using my own "faulty" gear.
Hello, Everyone actually I am a new member on this forum. I am looking for a new camcorder and shortlisted SONY PXW X 200 and PANASONIC AJ PX 270. I have used PXW X 200 for two days for full day shoot during an event and I am also notice this focusing issue during fast pan and zoom in and some time on a crucial moment focus not come back at right point in both manual and auto position it will take more time to come back and some important shots was lost and it was worst when shoot in low light on the other hand the image quality of this camcorder is very good but I am unable to decide due to this focus issue. I have not any experience with AJ PX 270 because it is not available on rent in my area. Has anyone compare this camera with PXW X200 and provide side by side comparison of these camera in respect of image quality and focusing issue.
Aryan Bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2016, 03:19 AM   #25
Trustee

You are saying that you experienced the same strange out of focus problems that I did, and you were also in manual focus?

Paul
Old August 11th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #26
Major Player

Cheeze, I think I will hang on to my EX1 with zero problems after lots of miles. Tinkerbell (my X70) has been working quite well except for that funky focusing ring. I have been afraid to use it on a serious shoot yet but so far so good.
Reading this column makes you wonder about Sony. It is unbelievable that Sony is not interested. Maybe if you contacted someone in sales management......this type of post is bound to hurt their sales and their dealer profits!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:19 AM   #27
New Boot

Quote:
You are saying that you experienced the same strange out of focus problems that I did, and you were also in manual focus?

Paul
Mr. Paul
Yes it is true that this cam lost focus in both auto and manual mode during fast panning specially pan with zoom in and it is very difficult to get it back immediately. I tried to push focusing ring in both direction and trying hard to get focus by rotate this ring. I got little success in manual mode when I zoom out all the way then slowly came back on my shot to got proper focus. I want to know if SONY has solution for this focusing problem. I once again request to forum members to post side by side image quality comparison of AJ PX 270 with PXW X 200
Aryan Bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 02:44 AM   #28
Trustee

Within the two days I had my X200, it had that backfocus malfunction, which I could only clear by power cycling the camera, THREE TIMES while I was hooked up and transmitting a live signal, and preparing to do a live broadcast breaking news report. That was unacceptable, so the camera was returned.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds