First bits of footage from my X160 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2015, 01:49 AM   #1
New Boot

First bits of footage from my X160

Hey guys,

I thought I'd post some footage from my new Sony PXW-X160. As some of you might remember I bought the camera a little while ago after lots of research and help from Paul and others on this forum.

Anyway, for those doing their own research here is some initial footage -

I've still got stuff to learn but this is all shot in manual mode except for the auto ND which is a fantastic addition in the v.3 firmware.

I've noticed a couple of things. I really struggle to focus when at very high or very low iris settings. At F11 the focus effectively goes past infinity as identified by Paul A. However, if you keep the iris in the middle somewhere (I found F6.7 works perfectly) the focusing is more predictable and the results are sharp; infinity on the focus ring is actually infinity. The peaking function is really helpful to really nail the focussing.

I'm becoming really pleased with this camera, but there is still TONS to learn.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers

Ben
Old October 12th, 2015, 06:30 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: First bits of footage from my X160

The 160 has a 1/3" chip like my NX5U so one should not go beyond F6.5 or so as the image will get soft. I found that staying at around F3.4 to F4 is best and use ND/ gain to control gives sharpest image.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

do u have a link for the v3 firmware
Terry Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Trustee

A focus assist punch in works wonders..........push, find perfect focus, push again. :-)

And +1 on not closing the iris too much, small chips suffer severe lens diffraction when closing down, you basically get a much softer image.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds