what adapter to attach Sony .8 wide-angle to PXW 200? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 20th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Major Player

what adapter to attach Sony .8 wide-angle to PXW 200?

Hi there,
I have a Sony .8 wide angle lens and want to attach it to my PXW 200.
I don't know where to look for an adapter, or even how to find out what adapter will work for this.
Can someone advise me please?
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: what adapter to attach Sony .8 wide-angle to PXW 200?

The PXW-200 uses a 77mm filter size. What is the size of your adapter? If it is larger than 77mm, you can use a step-down adapter, but if it is smaller, you can't. If you have an EX series WA Schneider Century adapter with a bayonet mount, I know of no way that it will work. You could contact Schneider and see if they can modify the mount for you, but even then, optically, it may not work well. This is one of the issues with the PXW-200.
Old October 20th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you for your advice Jeremy. I can't seem to find the diameter of the Sony 0.8 wide angle lens—on the B&H site it simply says "Not Specified by Manufacturer"—but I will keep looking. I think the wide angle lens is a bit bigger, so if that's the case I'm looking for a step-down adapter, as you say. If I find anything, I'll post back.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old October 20th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Who is the manufacturer of the WA Adapter? Going to their website may give you the info you need.
Old October 20th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #5
Major Player

I googled Sony VCL-EX0877 and got a Sony Product Detail page, but see no mention of the diameter of this lens, which is what I think is called a bayonet-mount type, in case that matters. I do know that this wide-angle lens fits the Sony EX1 because that's what I bought it for. A Sony product page for the EX1 says that it has a filter thread of 77mm (it also says that the "pitch" is .75mm—not at all sure what that means).

So if the Sony .8 wide angle lens fits the EX1, which has a filter thread of 77mm, and if the PXW-200 uses a 77mm filter size...
what am I getting wrong here?
I know that the wide angle lens doesn't fit on the PXW-200. But clearly, that's all I know.
Regards, Malcolm
Old October 20th, 2015, 10:59 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The simple fact is that lens uses a bayonet connection (NOT the filter threading, a twist-in latch) that only works on the EX1, EX1R, EX3, PMW-200 (not PXW) and PMW-300.

There is no filter size for this WA adapter. It latches onto the built in lens via a bayonet connection. Trying to adapt it for a threaded filter will result in too much space between the optical element and the lens, and would be too weak for the fine threading.

You will have to use a third party threaded 0.8x adapter on your PXW-X200. You're forced to, cause the bayonet connection is different on the X200. Fortunately the threading is also 77mm, so any 77mm one should do.

Last edited by Jack Zhang; October 21st, 2015 at 12:39 AM.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 03:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Here's a new adapter for the PXW-X200:

https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_do...vdJndvLIricoJj
Rob Hargreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2015, 07:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Jack and Rob—thank you so much for chiming in. Rob, your link doesn't work for me. Can up send me another link perhaps? And Jack, is there a wide-angle lens you would recommend? It's maybe not something that most camera operators would do, but frankly, I left my .8 lens attached to my EX1 (and then PMW200) most of the time, for all my handheld work (I'd take it off for some sit-down interviews). I liked the fact that I could get much closer to my subject(s); great for over-the-shoulder type shooting, etc.
So I want something that's at least as wide-angle as the Sony .8, and that I can zoom through (and keep focus) as I could with the Sony.
Any recommendations would be appreciated. I will hope to get your recommendation too Rob.
My searches on google haven't turned up anything!!!
Thanks again,
Malcolm
Old October 22nd, 2015, 12:08 AM   #9
Trustee

The best price/performance value for these cameras would be the 16x9 EXII series. They come in 0.8x and 0.75x (75 is twice as long and heavy) flavors, with 82mm, 77mm, and 72mm rear rings that screw onto their back 95mm barrel. I got both versions on eBay for around $150USD through Adorama. New they are in the $600 range.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:22 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks so much for this Paul... I've found them at B&H and am trying to decide on one. I want one I can zoom through so I guess it has to be the .8. Do you—or does anyone—happen to know. When (and if) Sony comes out with a 77mm wide-angle for the PXS-200, would it (might it I guess I should say) have any advantages over this EXII one? I ask because for my upcoming project I could probably get by without a wide-angle lens.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old October 22nd, 2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Trustee

The .75 is zoom through also. I wouldn't hold my breath on Sony hanging out a new wide angle converter any time soon.

Paul
Old October 23rd, 2015, 10:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Sorry to sound dumb, but I can't find the .75 anywhere! On the B&H site I've found some Century .75x lens, but they're either bayonet mount or for 72mm threads.
There's a Cavision .7x wide-angle, for 77mm threads, but I don't think it's zoom-through.
Paul, if you don't mind pointing me to the .75 that would fit my 77mm threads, that's zoom-through, I'd be really grateful.
Regards,
Malcolm
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:08 PM   #13
Trustee

Here is a good deal on a .75x with an 82mm ring, and a lens hood.m I had to pay $150 for the dumb lens hood for mine! The 82mm ring screws off and can be replaced with a 77mm or 72mm ring, or simply use an 82mm stedp down. I swap my back rings between my 75x and 08x all the time, simple task.

16x9 Inc Exii 0 75x Pro Wide Angle Auxiliary Lens F Panasonic AG HVX200 | eBay

Ignore their use of the wording HVX200, they are confused, it's got 82mm threads.

Paul
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:08 AM   #14
Major Player

Just bought the lens you suggested, Paul
Thanks very much for your help with this.
Malcolm
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Trustee

Great news Malcom........contact 16x9Inc to obtain the direct 77mm thread ring. You can get an 82mm - 77mm step down (or is it step up?) ring, but that adds distance to the elements, and probably not the best for optimum picture qwuality.

16x9 Inc. | Home page

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds