File transfer from Sony PXW-X160 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 30th, 2015, 05:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

File transfer from Sony PXW-X160

Hi everybody. On my recently bought PXW-X160 I am using XQD cards with the appropriate adapter. To transfer footage files to computer I am using a usb 3 XQD card reader and thats fine. I would like to know if it is possible to connect the camera directly to the pc via the usb connector and transfer footage without having to use the card reader. I want to do this to have a second way of doing the transfers. Regards.
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: File transfer from Sony PXW-X160

At one point I tested connecting my X180 to a computer using the (small) usb2 connector on the camera and it worked. Of course the transfer speed wasn't that great (since it was USB2). Naturally needed to have all the latest drivers installed on the computer, and when I plugged it in some sort of 'connect to usb?' menu item popped up on the camera's LCD screen. Accepted that and the connection went through fine.
So... Assuming that the X160 works the same as the X180 that way, then it would be an option...

However... Do you have a good read option for SxS cards? I keep an older PC laptop with an Expresscard34 slot for SxS transfers, and also have the Sonnet Thunderbolt Expresscard reader for my MBP. Using the XQD/SxS adapter provides another lightning fast transfer option (again... make sure you have all the updated drivers installed on your computers!) into either of my transfer systems.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Is there a specific place where I can get any drivers needed for my pc to recognise the camera because nothing happens when I connect the usb 2 cable. Thanks for any reply.
George Palmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #4
Major Player

I tend to use the Sony USA website for downloads...

Sony | Micro Site XDCAM

Select the applications, plug-ins, device drivers tab
You need to install the SxS drivers and SxS UDF drivers. (read the Release Notes file first)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2015, 06:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Realized I may have installed a newer version of UDF driver from:

Sony Creative Software - SxS UDF Driver

Look around on the web for recent version of SxS driver as well (which needs to be installed first!)

Also -- the computer only shows the camera as a drive if there's a memory card in the camera! Otherwise the camera screen will say 'connecting', but no directory is seen on the computer (since the camera is then functioning as an empty card reader.)
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds