USB Firmware Connection For FW 1.3 Fails at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 3rd, 2016, 05:52 AM   #1
Regular Crew

USB Firmware Connection For FW 1.3 Fails

I'm required to upgrade PMW-EX1 firmware from 1.11 to Ver 1.13 then to V 1.2 allowing utilisation of the Sonnet SxS SD Card Adapter.

Problem, after following Sony install instructions detailing USB connections (original Sony EX1 USB cable to computer) the sony interface states that no device is connected. Regardless of what variation attempted, different USB cable, different USB port on computer etc. New downloads of firmware each occasion (No Copies) simply refuses to connect.

iMac 27in 2012/13. Is it possible that Sony Software is required for my computer as it's comparatively new, PMW-EX1 has been around much longer.

Really appreciate your assistance. Thank you.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: USB Firmware Connection For FW 1.3 Fails

1.1x to 1.2 requires a hardware upgrade alongside the firmware update. You need to send it into Sony.

The hardware upgrade enables use of "USB" ExpressCards, which is what all the XDCAM SD card adapters are based off of.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 09:43 AM   #3
Major Player

It's been a while since I've updated my EX1 firmware.

I'm assuming that when you read the instructions you noticed that you need to use the HIDDEN USB PORT on the camera (It's next to the other one, but hidden under a small plate which you need to remove with a small screwdriver)

I don't recall there ever being an actual hardware upgrade required... I bought my EX1 before the EX3 was released, so it started with an early firmware release and has been firmware updated a number of times. However the recommendation to have an authorized service center do the firmware upgrade was because if you didn't follow all the instructions properly (particularly if you disconnected the camera too soon) then there was a possibility of rendering the camera inoperable!.

I always used PC's to do firmware updates, since over the years macs seem to be constantly messing with operating system changes that seem to make things not work quite right - so I never really trust mine to do anything critical. (Even the latest USB3 CF card reader firmware updates - required by changes in the mac os - can only be accomplished on a pc.) Of course for pretty much every computer I've had for the last few years I've immediately installed the Sony SxS drivers and software.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
the recommendation to have an authorized service center do the firmware upgrade was because if you didn't follow all the instructions properly (particularly if you disconnected the camera too soon) then there was a possibility of rendering the camera inoperable!
They also upgraded the hardware. People were bricking their EX1s because they tried to directly go to firmware 1.2 from an earlier one without a hardware upgrade. That's why Sony said they recommended taking it into a service center.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

My sincere thanks for your comments and advise.

Have just discovered the tiny hidden USB port! On reading into the perils of the upgrade, I'll contact Sony Pro service for quote. In my case probably money well spent.

There has been precious little outlay over 7 or 8 years. So a new years present for EX1, perhaps.

Regards,

Ron.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds