Sony X160 shutter switch at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 16th, 2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Tourist

Sony X160 shutter switch

I've just got my hand on one of these and I'm a bit confused by the shutter slide switch on the camera. Settings are on and off, and when it is on it uses the shutter speed you've set in the camera menu and displays that in the view finder, and when it is off it doesn't show anything. But what does "off" do?

It doesn't go to auto as far as I am aware as that is also set in the menu (and I have it set to off).

Any suggestions on what the slide switch "off" setting does, as you can't have no shutter speed as far as I'm aware?!
Yiannis Hadjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Sony X160 shutter switch

Yiannis,

I don't have an X160, but I'm sure it is the same as all the rest of the Sony cameras.
When shutter is "off" it becomes the same as the frame rate:

OFF = 1/24 when you are shooting 24P
OFF = 1/30 when you are shooting 30P
OFF = 1/25 when you are shooting 25P

Mastering the PMW-200-160-150-100 Camcorders
Old January 18th, 2016, 03:27 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks very much. That makes sense, although I'm not sure why that is a switch rather than a menu setting: Why would you need such easy access to a 360 degree shutter setting?
Yiannis Hadjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Vortex Media

I can't explain it either, it does seem like something that would never be used. A waste of a switch that could have been used for something more useful. Welcome to the world of Sony cameras.
Old January 18th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

My guess would be that it goes back to 60i/50i 'legacy' interlace recording, where the ability to switch in/out of a specific shutter speed would have been more useful on demand. (and the switch most likely would remain in the 'off'' position most of the time.) With progressive we almost always shoot with a 180 degree shutter in place to eliminate smear, so the switch pretty much stays on...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2016, 11:42 PM   #6
Trustee

Wow, you guys obviously have no night ENG experience....heh.

The SHUTTER SWITCH is a necessary function for me to access while shooting 60p night ENG. For movement, 1/30th second shutter looks BAD, smears like crazy. But when it's dark and you are stuck using an on camera LED, you would want to drop the OFF 1/60 60p shutter quickly down to 1/30 with the switch, to gain a stop of exposure. The X200 I bought LACKS this switch, and when shooting 60p at night, it is a HUGE PITA to go into the menu to select SLS 2 frame to get to 1/30th, then do it again to switch back.

The best camera for shutter changing is the JVC ProHD line, button toggle shutter on and off, up down to change speed. Next best is the Panasonic stuff with the shutter clicker on the front under the lens, but that is a one way toggle through, pass your speed and gotta go through the whole list to get back to it.

Paul
Paul Anderegg is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds