use of magnets on Multi-Interface shoe. Bad idea? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 25th, 2016, 09:42 AM   #1
Major Player

use of magnets on Multi-Interface shoe. Bad idea?

Hi there,
I'm someone who always uses a Hoodman Loupe with my camera, so I'm wanting a way to keep it handy at all times. I'd like to actually 'attach' it to my camera, in fact, so that if I'm walking around with my camera, I don't have to try to fit the loupe in a pocket (it's quite bulky). So I'm wondering about screwing three strong little magnets to a plastic plate I have for one of my wireless receivers—this plate attaches to the Multi-Interface shoe that's in front of the flip-out display. I would then attach the opposing magnets to the heavy rubber side of my loupe. The loupe would then 'stick' to the plate when not in use; when I'm ready to shoot, I would pull it off (the magnets are strong but not that strong), flip out the display and attach the loupe to it.
When I've got the shot, I take the loupe off the display, flip back the display and 'click' the loupe onto the magnetized plate on the shoe.
QUESTION, though, before I proceed: is magnetism a bad thing around a camera? I googled this, and found people saying yes it is, and other people saying, yes it was, back when cameras used tubes, etc., but that it's no longer a problem.
Any advice from actual modern-day Sony camera users would be appreciated!
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 06:41 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: use of magnets on Multi-Interface shoe. Bad idea?

Strong magnetism can affect any electrical circuit that is within the magnetic field. So I would be very cautious about this. Personally I would say it's too risky, but that's just my opinion.

Plus you only need a magnet on one side (like epoxied to the plastic bracket attached to the shoe) and then use a thin piece of steel attached to the loupe. That would cut down the risk for the camera somewhat but might still affect anything attached to the bracket like your wireless receiver.

My favorite site for magnets and information is K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Magnets, Rare Earth Magnets

They have an awesome selection of magnets from very small to bone-crushing (literally).

(Exercise the normal cautions for keeping any magnets away from pets and small children, since they can be deadly if swallowed.)

Last edited by Jay Massengill; January 26th, 2016 at 07:33 AM.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: use of magnets on Multi-Interface shoe. Bad idea?

Jay—so nice of you to weigh in. And yes, I would attach three little magnets just to the top of the little plastic bracket (meant to hold a Sennheiser reciever) that attaches to the top of the shoe. That's a good inch-and-a-half from the top of the camera. And then, as you say, it would be non-magnetic metal discs (that pair with the magnets) that would attach to the rubber side of my Hoodman loupe.
Hmmm. Still considering.
I appreciate your advice!
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds