Mounting Monitor on EX1/EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mounting Monitor on EX1/EX3

Apologize for somewhat double posting, however I realized this section was more appropriate for my question.

I have recently purchased an on camera monitor (7" Feelworld fw759 cheap cheap). The monitor is fine for my needs, however I am a bit concerned about mounting it on the cold shoe of my EX3. The heaviest thing I have mounted was an LED light panel. Has anyone mounted a monitor directly to the EX3 and EX1 cold shoes with a ball head mount? The monitor is very light, just a bit over concerned I guess.

Thanks
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Mounting Monitor on EX1/EX3

I have a DP friend who's been mounting a Marshall 7" monitor on his EX3's shoe mount for years.

One thing you have to make sure of -- Use a good, solid ball mount! If the ball mount slips you may do more damage than you think!

I bought something like this for my EX1 handle a while back:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Tested-.../dp/B00NGKCKU4

I ended up adding a bit of rubber padding between the clamp and the handle to make it more solid, but it's given me more mounting options - both 1/4" and 3/8" threads...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Re: Mounting Monitor on EX1/EX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
I have a DP friend who's been mounting a Marshall 7" monitor on his EX3's shoe mount for years.

One thing you have to make sure of -- Use a good, solid ball mount! If the ball mount slips you may do more damage than you think!

I bought something like this for my EX1 handle a while back:

Amazon.com : Battle Tested Film Gear 954-C-HB Camtree Handle Bracket (Black) : Camera & Photo

I ended up adding a bit of rubber padding between the clamp and the handle to make it more solid, but it's given me more mounting options - both 1/4" and 3/8" threads...
Thanks Dave. The handle mount is perfect!
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds