Serious problem with X160 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 9th, 2016, 11:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Serious problem with X160

I've only had this camera for a couple of months now and have used it 5-6 times. I also use a Libec zoom controller with it. The problem that has happened to me 3 times now is that once I hit the record button on the controller, the camera will record for 2 seconds then suddenly stop. Once I hit record again it will record and keep on going.

The first 2 times this happened I wasn't sure if maybe I (however unlikely) had accidentally hit the record button again but the other day when I used it I made sure to keep an eye on it and it shut itself off without any intervention from me.

At this point I don't know why it hasn't done it every time. I'm thinking that of the 3 times it stopped it was recording to a card that had been formatted and completely empty. The other 2 times I think the card was not totally empty but I'm not sure.

At this point I'm not sure if it may be the controller or what, but I actually bought the controller last year for use with a rental camera and didn't have any problems, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Billy Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 01:11 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Serious problem with X160

Be sure to connect remote before powering on camera. I don't own this combo, just something I'd read online

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Pulera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:13 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, but I always hook up everything before powering on so that's not it.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 10:14 AM   #4
New Boot

It did it again on a shoot the other night, but this time the card wasn't empty. Actually I had started the recording, stopped it, then started it again but this time it shut itself off. I wasn't paying full attention to the record light in the viewfinder (it's too small anyway) and when I did check it I had lost a couple of minutes of the shot that I wanted.

Am I the only one with this problem? This makes 2 Sony cameras that have let me down in a short period of time.
Old May 28th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #5
Trustee

Hi Billy,

I know you prob dont want to hear it, and I only mention it because I have exactly the same cam.

My 160 has and is performing well. I do a lot of very long days on it, sometimes 12-15 hr live event type work and it hasn't let me down yet.

It does have some funny quirks though, after it powers up I now zoom all the way out and in just once.

If I dont do this, sometimes the first time I touch the zoom ring it will zoom all the way out on its own. Its almost like the ring doesnt know where the zoom is and resets.
No biggy, but a shock the first time it happens.

Overall I love this cam though, performance is amazing.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds