PMW-EX1R lens repair at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 10th, 2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PMW-EX1R lens repair

My EX1R would not focus when on wide (perfectly fine on close ups), and recently the Iris stayed wide open even when on auto. Seems like a common problem with these cameras, since I personally know someone who had the same focus issue and there are many others (online) who have experienced the same problem. Sony told my friend that some elements had to be adjusted and the problem was fixed.

I took my camera to Sony and their estimate ($2100) requires a lens replacement, but I the estimate does not specify what is wrong with the lens and why it needs to be replaced. The camera has relatively low hours and was well taken care of, so I find it inexcusable that the lens has apparently failed. We have cameras much older than this that have not major problems like this.

Anyway, I'm seriously considering whether it is worth the price to fix the camera. Advice:
(1) Would another repair center do this for a better price? If so, can anyone recommend a repair center?
(2) How difficult would it be to get the part (lens) and do the work myself?

This is a great camera and I would hate to have to put it out of commission.

Thanks
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: PMW-EX1R lens repair

Sony will not offer a lens repair. They replace the entire assembly, hence the price.

The lens features a ton of high precision and delicate parts so no shop is going to do service on an existing lens assembly. You can however do a manual backfocus in the service menu to see if it solves the problem. If a manual backfocus doesn't work, the cheapest solution is an entirely new assembly.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 03:13 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Personally, I would not pay that much money to repair a relatively old camera. You could probably buy a fully working used example from a reputable dealer for not much more/may be able to sell yours for parts as a sweetener in the deal? However, if it was me, I'd put that money towards a new camera. It'll not only come with a warranty but if you choose well you'll see image improvements too.
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #4
Major Player

I bought my new x70 for that price. Some would say it's better.
Donald McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:56 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
Sony will not offer a lens repair. They replace the entire assembly, hence the price.
As I mentioned in my post, someone I know had the same problem about 1 year ago and the lens was not replaced. Same service center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
You can however do a manual backfocus in the service menu...
That was the first thing that I tried (numerous times).

I can probably get a used EX1R for the repair price. Such a shame. It is a nice camera and doesn't have a lot of hours on it.
Old May 11th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
Personally, I would not pay that much money to repair a relatively old camera.
Relatively old, yes, but still a damn good HD camera. I was thinking the same though. Thinking of getting an FS7 but would have liked to have the EX1R as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
May be able to sell yours for parts...
Ebay? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:30 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Has anyone had any experience with Sony XDCAM PMW 200 Repair | Physical Damage | Firmware | Firewire ?
Jose Carlos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds