Audio Sets Rode NTG3B at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 28th, 2016, 08:05 AM   #1
New Boot

Audio Sets Rode NTG3B

Hello,

I have the x200 with a rode NTG3B.

My Audio Sets:

CH3 Input Source (External)

CH4 Input Source (External)

EXT MIC CH1 Ref (-60dB)

EXT MIC CH2 Ref (-60dB)

EXT CH Select (CH1)

the Knobs (ch1/ch2) is in 3rd mark close to the zero.

all switches is in manual mode

Last experience I noticed a clipping noise. because I did audio record close do louder source(big speakers) around 5-6 meters distance.

In this case louder source damage the Rode NTG3B?

What Audio Sets is recommended for weddings?.

Grateful
Best regrads
Daniel Josué is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #2
Equal Opportunity Offender

Re: Audio Sets Rode NTG3B

I've got my own NTG3 (before the B was added for whatever reason) and I've used it to capture the sound of a rifle being fired, just a metre or two away. The shotgun mic handled it beautifully and has continued to be fantastic ever since.

I don't think you will have any issues with it with regards to possible damage from a loud sound source. It's absolutely rock solid as far as I know.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Trustee

The NTG3 microphone has a very hot output signal. Try setting the Ext Mic Ref level to something much higher than -60db when recording loud sounds with the Rode mic. Try -30db and see if that prevents the hot output of the NTG3 from overloading the mic input of the camera and causing distortion. You would now need to also raise the recording level of the camera, but you should now have a greater range of control with the input level before the signal gets too loud.

-60db would be used with a very insensitive mic like a handheld dynamic mic that's just being spoken into. A hot mic like the NTG3 being used close to very loud sounds would need a much less sensitive setting like -40db or -30db.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #4
New Boot

I havent experience with PXW-X200, and don't know what is inside it, but...

There is two sorts of audio inputs:
A) input stage before attenuator
B) input stage after attenuator

For sort "A" You may have to make external attenuator and plug your mike through it.
Otherwise you wil get clipping on loud sounds whatever settings you do into the camera.
Anton Tokman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:06 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi everyone, i'm grateful for your tips for my issue. I setting -30dB and is a lot better than -60dB (factory setting)

so.. the Rode NTG3 has Sensitivity-30.0dB re 1 Volt/Pascal (31.60mV @ 94 dB SPL) +/- 2 dB @ 1kHz

in this case the suitable setting in the EXT MIC CH1 Ref is -30dB ?

Grateful
Best regards
Daniel Josué is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds