DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   4K Video Shooting and the PXW-Z150 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/533125-4k-video-shooting-pxw-z150.html)

Silas Barker November 26th, 2016 03:25 PM

4K Video Shooting and the PXW-Z150

Just curious if anyone is providing 4K to your clients and what sort of work you are doing? Corporate? Event? Weddings?

The other thing is, what is the standard for FPS for 4K? 30? 60?

The PXW has 4K 30fps but I am wondering if I should wait until more 60fps come out.

I don't actually need 4K yet, but I am starting to prepare. I shoot mostly events with a broadcast camera like that one, and shoot all my corporate work with DSLRs.

Thanks!

Mark Watson November 27th, 2016 10:59 AM

Re: 4K Video Shooting and the PXW-Z150

Not sure about the existence of a "standard". I shoot mostly 30p (web-bound content), or if I know it's going to BluRay, I'll go 24p. I only go 60p if I have a reason to; like if I think I might want to apply some slow motion effect. Shooting everything in 60p will mean I need to keep the shutter at 1/120th or faster, which cuts back on the light-gathering and could lead to an increase in grain if I need to gain up

What I have not done is test whether 60p footage, converted to 30p, looks any better than footage shot at 30p. I don't see how it could, doesn't the NLE just throw out every other frame? Not sure.

Over the years, I've had some projects with every possible frame rate my cams would do and it was an added hassle just doing all the testing to see which project settings and which rendering settings produced the best quality final product. Currently, I aim to set my camera frame rate to what I expect to deliver in, with a few exceptions.

Mark

Jack Zhang November 28th, 2016 11:09 AM

4K broadcast is currently 4K 60p. NASA is the only public broadcaster in North America currently broadcasting 4K 60p 24/7 via publicly available satellite feeds.

Silas Barker November 28th, 2016 11:15 AM

So will 4K 30fps become obsolete soon?

Thanks!

Noa Put November 28th, 2016 11:35 AM

There is no standard for corporate, event and weddings, it all depends on your client requirements, when a wedding client asks for a 4K 50p film because they have a tv that supports it then that will be the standard for that particular client while others may requests a delivery on dvd only.

If I would have a camera that could do 4k 50P I would always shoot in that mode, in that way I can edit in a 25p HD timeline and choose whatever clip I want to slow down 50% which mainly is for the trailers I make for the weddings I shoot and I can crop into the image when I need to. I don't have any loss in light-gathering as I would shoot with a 1/50th shutter all the time, to be honest, I don't see any difference in shooting 1/100 or 1/50 and eventhough technically I should use 1/100 if I don't see the difference, then why limit myself.

Ron Evans November 28th, 2016 12:11 PM

I shoot 60P on most of my cameras including UHD on the FDR-AX1 and all are 1/60 shutter to get the most light in the theatre. Shutter speed relates to image blur so 1/60 at any frame rate has the same image blur. If you shoot 60P at 1/60 it will be the same blur as 30P at 1/60. If you edit that 60P video on a 30P time line it will be the same as if you shot at 30P. That is the advantage of shooting at 60P. You have the option of finishing at 60P and getting smooth motion for 60i or 60P output and have the option of 30P for a more juddering look of film. Faster shutter speeds will give of course less image blur and sharper images on each frame. Depends on the subject matter and location.

Ron Evans

Roger Keay November 28th, 2016 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1924115)
4K broadcast is currently 4K 60p. NASA is the only public broadcaster in North America currently broadcasting 4K 60p 24/7 via publicly available satellite feeds.

In Canada, Sportsnet broadcasts two channel of 2160P60 on Rogers Cable. The programming schedule is the same as two of their existing HD channels with MLB, NHL and NBA games from Toronto venues in true 4K. The balance of the schedule is normally upconverted. They have carried some 4K programming from Europe.

TSN has two channels on cable that show a graphic except when live 4K games are being played. TSN did CFL games from Toronto including the Grey Cup, as well as NBA and NHL in 4K.

There have been a few occasions this year when 2 live 4K games were available at the same time.