PXW X160 Strange Colors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:55 PM   #1
Trustee

PXW X160 Strange Colors

Hey all,
last couple of concerts Ive noticed a bit of this happening- see pics.
The GH4, GH2 and the Canon Camcorders dont display the colorised blown highlights.
Its very dark, all cams are seeing more than the human eye, hence how noisy it is. But the X160 is the only one with the strange behaviour.
Have recently set it back to defaults after a bit too much playing around with the picture profiles.
All cams are auto iris with limited isos.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
PXW X160 Strange Colors-blown-blues.jpg   PXW X160 Strange Colors-multi.jpg  

Old January 5th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #2
Contributor

Re: PXW X160 Strange Colors

I've seen this before from all my cameras. Not the brown highlights so much as the splotchy unnatural looking blues. My theory is it's a combination of LED coloured spots without enough white light. I've even seen it on my old 3 chip CCD cameras. Whether or not a camera exhibits that probably depends on angle of the light, exposure and also how efficient the codec is. I note the GH4 which is locked off on the wide shows the same splotchiness on the blues.. (so same angle of incidence with the light) so the blue channel is getting overpowered while the other two channels are underexposed - I'm not sure why three chip cameras seem to be more susceptible to that then the single chip bayer sensors. For 99% of my work, three chip cameras give a better colour rendition. Winding back to a flatter profile definitely helps and the worst case is a deliberate hi con, saturated look.

I'm not sure why lighting guys at kid's dance concerts want to present things in the dark - it isn't exactly high art or a rock concert.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks John,
Explains a lot.
Both the theatres this happened at, the lighting guys mentioned they had new LED lighting which wasnt there last year. I thought it was only an issue with flicker.....
I guess just shoot flatter to try to maintain those colored highlights and then reel them in later in post.

Yes I hear you about the darkness. Every person in theatre is only there to see their kid perform, kind of a strange plan to put them in the dark lol.
It gets worse though, did this one just before Christmas and was just shaking my head in disbelief, see pic.
Its already been Neat video'd and brightened lol.
Attached Thumbnails
PXW X160 Strange Colors-dark-.jpg  
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

In recent months a number of people (including me) have posted issues with LED theatrical lighting some cameras handle it better than others. It very difficult filming modern dance it's common to have dance sets in almost complete darkness. Sometimes you just have to let it be what it is.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #5
Trustee

Agree Pete, if its black, it should stay black. Is hard when there is meant to be someone there they can see though :)
Old June 4th, 2018, 05:48 AM   #6
Tourist

I have had this with my XPW X180 a lot. It does not happen with my NX3 or even my X1000. Why should my most expensive camera be the worst in concerts (great otherwise)?

Can't even get it out in post, as the source is over saturated in blue. Anyone found a solution since the last reply?

Just finished another edit with a band. Variable LED lights, close to the bass player, forced me to cut away from him every time the LED changed to Blue.

Sad to hear that it happens with other cameras.
Raymond Toms is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds