Best Lav mic system for PXW X70 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 24th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Best Lav mic system for PXW X70

Hi group. I'm working with some older, used Sennheisers (EW112s and EW100s). I noticed (in edit) their sound quality can vary... so my first thought was to see if I could get them "tuned up." Second thought was to see what other folks are using and liking.

What's your best choice, in-the-field wireless mic set up with the PXW X70?

Craig
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #2
Supports LPFM Radio

Re: Best Lav mic system for PXW X70

My guess is you probably can't tune up your transmitters or receivers (please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). But you can upgrade your microphones. Sennheiser makes some great mics, but the lavs they bundle with their lower-cost wireless systems aren't great....and it sounds like yours are old. Clearly, I'm assuming you're using your original lavs.

You could consider trying a new lav...something like an Oscar SoundTech 802 (US150ish with connector and accessories)
Home

As for a newer wireless system, I'm not super familiar with latest lower-cost systems (I'm more familiar with Lectro and Zaxcom). But I read good things about:

RODElink (US$400ish)
RØDE Microphones - Browse our microphones

Sony UWP-D (US$600ish)
https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-au...t-UWPD11%2F30/

Sennheiser G3 (US$600ish) --I've used these...They're pretty decent, but I wonder if a G4 or some other upgrade is around the corner. Still, decent, sometimes available used...
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/lavalie...on-ew-112-p-g3

Sennheiser AVX (US$700ish)
https://en-us.sennheiser.com/avx

So that's a quick rundown. Hopefully others will chime in. If you're near a good audio-post house or video equipment store, you can probably head in and try a couple of these systems and see what you think.
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Equal Opportunity Offender

Here's an example from the last day or so with the Rode wireless system.

The audio you hear is pretty much straight off the Rode gear. Air conditioning noise hasn't been removed. No compression applied.

Lapel mic was placed just below the top button on her blouse.

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Trustee

Hey Craig, I've had 3 out of 4 of those choices and my recommendation is that it still sort of depends. I'm most comfortable and confident with the G3 systems, but the Rodelink is cheap and sounds really good. The Sony is similar but maybe not quite up to par with the G3, ESPECIALLY using the included Sony mic which is pretty crummy. I upgraded to a used ECM77 (about $100) and have been using those mics ever since on first the Sony kit and now the G3 kit.

I might be selling a G3 kit (with the ECM77) soon though, and since you're local...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds