DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   just paid for updated Sony Content Browser, and it won't open. Ideas? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/533888-just-paid-updated-sony-content-browser-wont-open-ideas.html)

Malcolm Hamilton April 8th, 2017 11:25 AM

just paid for updated Sony Content Browser, and it won't open. Ideas?

Hi there,
I just updated to MacOS Sierra on my Mac Pro (5.1), and when I launched Content Browser (v. 2.3.3) I got a message saying it couldn't open. So I googled, to find a newer version of Content Browser (2.4.1) and paid the $29 or whatever it was for it. But this one won't open either! Message says "Content Browser cannot be opened because of a problem".
Does anyone on this forum have experience with this? Any advice? I'm in the middle of shooting (PXW-X200) and editing (Avid Media Composer 8.8.1), and I'm getting behind.
Thanks, Malcolm

Malcolm Hamilton April 8th, 2017 04:32 PM

Re: just paid for updated Sony Content Browser, and it won't open. Ideas?

... as a follow-up. I tried to send a note to the Sony Technical Support email address provided for Sony Camera Utilities, for technical help here in Canada, and the email bounced back:

bpgservice@sony.ca
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found.

Does anyone on this forum know how I can reach Sony technical support, for help with my conundrum?
thanks, Malcolm

Doug Jensen April 9th, 2017 08:01 AM

Sony sold their software business a couple of years ago, so you're trying to contact the wrong people.

Also, why are you bothering with Content Browser? That program was replaced by Catalyst Browse at least three or four years ago. Everyone who shoots with pro and prosumer Sony cameras should have moved over to Catalyst Browse long ago.

Chris Hurd April 9th, 2017 09:17 AM

Malcolm I can probably get you in touch with somebody at Sony but it wouldn't happen until business resumes tomorrow.

Malcolm Hamilton April 9th, 2017 09:35 AM

thanks so much to both of you. Doug, I guess I was just continuing to work with the app that I got used to working with years ago, when I got my first camera (EX-1). Old-dog syndrome. I will check out Catalyst Browse now though. If it's expensive I will either try to contact whomever it is that now makes Content Browser, or I will contact you Chris, and take you up on your kind offer to put me in touch with someone at Sony. Certainly the bill/invoice came in from Sony, and it included (in 'Support options') a sonycreative website (Technical Support)... that didn't help.
Regards,
Malcolm

Malcolm Hamilton April 9th, 2017 09:57 AM

Quick question. I see that Catalyst Browse is free, which is great. But Doug, as a user, do you know if it exports clips to MXF? (that's what Content Browser has done for me for years, and I need to do this because I edit in Avid Media Composer). I've looked at Sony's website, and I can't figure out if MXF is an export option. Maybe you have to get the $199 Catalyst Prepare if you want MXF?
Thanks, Malcolm

Leslie Wand April 9th, 2017 05:53 PM

free exports to mxf - only major difference is the paid version lets you cut clips, etc.,

Ron Evans April 9th, 2017 06:39 PM

I switched to Catalyst Browse for my transfer to PC so if you have any problems with it send me an email and we can get together. I think the PC and Mac interface is much the same.

Jeremy Cole April 9th, 2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 1930422)
Quick question. I see that Catalyst Browse is free, which is great. But Doug, as a user, do you know if it exports clips to MXF? (that's what Content Browser has done for me for years, and I need to do this because I edit in Avid Media Composer). I've looked at Sony's website, and I can't figure out if MXF is an export option. Maybe you have to get the $199 Catalyst Prepare if you want MXF?
Thanks, Malcolm

I shoot with xdcam often with my old Ex1r and I just AMA the content into MC with no issues. I find no reason to convert the content. When I do need to convert content I use EditReady.

Malcolm Hamilton April 9th, 2017 08:47 PM

Wow... lots of good information. Jeremy—I can't really explain why, maybe it's because I'm never editing anything under tight deadlines, but I've never gone the AMA route. I actually like to export to MXF and then import into Avid. Which is why I'm very pleased to get the news from Leslie that the free version of Catalyst (Browse) will let me do just that. I would never dream of cutting clips, or colour correcting them, or whatever in an app like Catalyst (the paid version lets you do this apparently); I'll wait and do this in Avid.
And Ron—I see you're a fellow Ottawan! If I have any problems with Catalyst Browse I will indeed send you an email.
Thank you all so much,
Malcolm

Doug Jensen April 10th, 2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton (Post 1930422)
Quick question. I see that Catalyst Browse is free, which is great. But Doug, as a user, do you know if it exports clips to MXF?

Malcom, as Jeremy says, you shouldn't need to do any conversions anymore for Avid. I don't edit with Avid myself, but that has been my understanding from friends who do use Avid. So check your workflow, it sounds out of date. Good luck.

Malcolm Hamilton April 10th, 2017 07:34 PM

I just used Catalyst Browse, Doug, and it works very well. I'm glad that I was finally coaxed into the 21st century. Thanks very much for the help,
Malcolm