Z150 or Z90? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 28th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #1
New Boot

Z150 or Z90?

I was on the verge of ordering a Z150 to replace my X70 when the Z90 was announced; now I'm a bit torn...

Does the Z150 have any functional advantage over the Z90 or are they two identical cameras in different packages?

I do often wish for more dedicated controls that the X70 (or Z90) sports but unless there are feature or performance advantages, I'm not sure the Z150 is worth the extra weight to me.
Doug Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:16 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Z150 or Z90?

The Z150 has the same sensor but image processing could be different.

The Z90 has a new phase detection AF system while the Z150 has contrast detection.

The image quality should be comparable and pretty close but the Z90 has SLOG. (both have HLG)

I chose the NX80 because it contains all the same features as the Z90 minus the SDI and 10bit 1080. I almost never shoot 1080 anymore so that 10bit CODEC and SDI are almost useless to me. I do occasionally shoot 120fps in 1080 but all these cameras can do that today.

One other thing...the NX80's .mp4 wrapper is WAY easier to deal with. I gave my Z150's .MXF wrapper files to a client last week that they called me saying they couldn't play it. You will never have this problem with .mp4. Plus .MP4 seems to unpack MUCH easier than .MXF which is more taxing.

For me, the NX80 pre-order was a no brainier. I'm keeping my Z150 for now until they upgrade it to phase detection AF next spring. Having three lens rings is nice....even though they are that nasty fly by wire type.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds