Sony EX-1: can it use large capacity SxS card, or SD card (in adapter)? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 18th, 2018, 04:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony EX-1: can it use large capacity SxS card, or SD card (in adapter)?

Hi there,
I bout an EX-1 when it first came out. Loved it. But I can't remember if I purchased my current 32GB and 64GB SxS cards when I had the EX-1, or the PMW-200 that I got after it.
The reason it matters is that a friend of mine was wondering about picking up an EX-1, cheap, but seems to think that it is somehow limited to a maximum of a 16GB card.
Is he wrong about that? I'm telling him that he should get an adapter card for the SxS slot and use large (64GB, for example) SD cards. But maybe the old EX-1 can't do that?
I don't want to give him bad advice, so any thoughts from people on this forum would be very welcome.
thank you,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Sony EX-1: can it use large capacity SxS card, or SD card (in adapter)?

firmware 1.3 - am happily using 64gb sdhc cards in an mx adapter.
Old March 18th, 2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Major Player

thank you so much. I will get this information to my pal.
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2018, 10:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Here is a tech sheet on what the EX1 firmware versions have supported. Firmware 1.30 being the last that Sony released for the EX series.

As Leslie says v1.30 will run 64GB cards with no dramas whatsoever. That's also my experience with v1.3 on the EX3 as well. I have also heard the word put about that you can use up to 128GB SD cards.

Additionally the QDA-EX1 SxS to XQD card adapter can also be used to run XQD cards although I believe 64GB is the max in XQD.

Beware! If you have to upgrade to v1.3 (VersionUpTool_PMW-EX1_1.3) make sure to follow all the directions 100% to the letter..

YOU MUST USE THE HIDDEN SERVICE USB PORT. Not the one adjacent to the component port. The wrong USB port will brick the camera by all accounts.

Additionally there is a lens firmware upgrade for the EX1 called PMW_EX1_Lens0027_0102

Hi there Mr. Les :)

Chris Young
Attached Thumbnails
Sony EX-1: can it use large capacity SxS card, or SD card (in adapter)?-ex1-technical-bulletin.jpg  

Last edited by Christopher Young; March 18th, 2018 at 10:41 PM. Reason: added info
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 03:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

1.31 is actually the last firmware available for the EX1R AFIAK.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2018, 04:50 AM   #6
Trustee

hi there chris, hope all's going to plan ;-) no thoughts of retiring yet? coming from someone who theoretically retired almost 20 years ago and is only now slowing down enough to smell the flowers...

hey jack, where did you find 1.31 and what do the release notes say?
Old March 19th, 2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Wrangler

I've thought about updating the firmware on my EX-1 but have been reluctant to risk something that could brick it. I don't shoot much these days and it's my only camera.

Looks like that lens update only addresses a specific issue with a Libec controller. Too bad, you got me excited that there might be a fix for the "sticky" zoom issue on my EX-1. ;)

https://pro.sony/ue_US/support/software/1237485726707
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 12:26 AM   #8
Trustee

i got my update done by a tech in sydney - ray purnell. wouldn't have dreamed of doing it myself - after all, who else could i blame ;-)

i don't think i updated for any other reason than using sdhc cards.

and yes, the ex1 is still my main camera, bloody workhorse that it is. i've looked at what's around for many years, but since i'm not interested in 4k, i haven't really seen 'better' hd footage from anything that would have been worth the investment. i am however, going to have a closer look at the z90
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...2855/KBID/3801
if for no other reason than it's much lighter.
Old March 20th, 2018, 06:35 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Boyd.

If the "sticky lens" is a sometimes jumpy zoom movement, maybe try turning the camera upside-down and cycling the zoom a few times. Store the camera upside/down to help recoat any dry spots which might have developed on wearing parts which have lube on them.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 07:20 AM   #10
Wrangler

Thanks Bob, but that isn't quite the issue. The problem is that it's virtually impossible to make a smooth start to a slow zoom. Once the zoom is in progress, everything is fine, but there's a jolt when it starts. This was discussed a lot back in the day but I never really dug into it at the time.

Doing a bit of Googling yesterday, I found a discussion on another site where some people claimed to have discussed the problem with Sony. They were told this was a trade-off made in the camera design keep the cost down while not sacrificing sharpness. They further claimed this was true of the EX3 and also a newer model that I'm not familiar with. So (if true) I guess "it's a feature, not a bug".
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2018, 08:33 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Zhang View Post
1.31 is actually the last firmware available for the EX1R AFIAK.
EX1R yes but not for EX1. Don't make the mistake of trying to burn 3.1 into an EX1. A few have attempted that and bricked their camera requiring about $2,000's worth of board replacement.

Chris Young
Old March 20th, 2018, 08:41 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Wand View Post
hi there chris, hope all's going to plan ;-) no thoughts of retiring yet?
What would I do?

Still shooting. Still editing. Still on an 8 part doco history of the Royal Aust Navy for the Govt. Probably going to the ABC.

Over three thousand hours of archive material both B&W and color to be culled ARC'd and graded so it keeps me off the streets. The thought of traditional retirement freaks me out. What would I do to keep the grey matter ticking over. Young by name and young by nature :)

Chris Young
Old March 21st, 2018, 06:14 AM   #13
Trustee

good luck with it and i'll look forward to seeing it...

yeah, don't know what i'd do without a camera and a script anymore either - but at least nowadays they're my babies ;-)
Old March 21st, 2018, 07:42 PM   #14
Trustee

It's the way to go Mr. L :)

Chris Young
Old March 24th, 2018, 09:17 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Thanks Bob, but that isn't quite the issue. The problem is that it's virtually impossible to make a smooth start to a slow zoom. Once the zoom is in progress, everything is fine, but there's a jolt when it starts. This was discussed a lot back in the day but I never really dug into it at the time.

Doing a bit of Googling yesterday, I found a discussion on another site where some people claimed to have discussed the problem with Sony. They were told this was a trade-off made in the camera design keep the cost down while not sacrificing sharpness. They further claimed this was true of the EX3 and also a newer model that I'm not familiar with. So (if true) I guess "it's a feature, not a bug".
Also remember that zoom motors work using a gear to drive the lens. The specs on new, high end lenses demand little or no play between the motor gear and the lens gear. In the case of my EX1, over time a bit of play has developed, so if I zoom out and then want to zoom in, there is a bit of motor turning before the gear hits in the opposite direction. This can result in a slight 'bump' or 'jerk' at the beginning of the zoom. So if I need a really smooth, slow start for a zoom in, for instance, I try to preset the gears by zooming out a bit further, then zooming in to set the opening frame - thus eliminating any gear gap in the drive direction. At that point the zoom can be started smoothly and slowly... Not a fix, but the field workaround. My EX1 still gets used occasionally, but only as a 2nd or 3rd camera, so I'm not really motivated to spend money sending it in for a fix that may not be effective.

This is a different issue than the jerkiness I've often found in trying to do slow zooms with EX3's - which I attribute to a presumably underpowered zoom motor for the lens, combined with lubrication/wear issues - a problem I've experienced to a greater or lesser extent with most EX3's I've shot with over the years... I always found the EX1 zooms far smoother...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds