Settings for dance recital - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 12th, 2018, 07:59 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Settings for dance recital

Hi Jeff. That split screen is a good idea for the little kid line. Yeah better in 4:3 but I think I'll try it next time.
Only problem is the other parents may start wanting the whole recital done split screen ;)

Regarding 1080 60p and blu-ray:
I think you can throw 1080 60p at it, meaning shoot and edit in 60p, but when you write the disc it goes to 60i. At least regular blu-ray. I have not made any UHD ones yet.
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 08:04 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Blu-ray supports 1080p60 just fine.
I just looked , I use DVDArchitect and this will only author to interlace at 60 ( 29.97fps interlaced, 25 interlaced , 24P or 23.976P ). Most modern players and TV's do a pretty good job of interpolating the missing fields anyway as they all display at 60P anyway for NTSC.

I shoot all cameras at 60P though and edit for interlace.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:55 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
I just looked , I use DVDArchitect and this will only author to interlace at 60 ( 29.97fps interlaced, 25 interlaced , 24P or 23.976P ). Most modern players and TV's do a pretty good job of interpolating the missing fields anyway as they all display at 60P anyway for NTSC.

I shoot all cameras at 60P though and edit for interlace.
I would avoid interlaced whenever possible.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 07:16 AM   #19
Inner Circle

For shooting I agree but for DVD it is the only way to get smooth motion of 60i. 30P in 60i stream is visually not as smooth as I want and I see no difference to original 60P file with either interlace DVD or Bluray on either of my BLuray players to both a Panasonic Plasma or Sony LCD. Both players do a very good job of interpolating 60i to 60P for playback. Also I do not have an authoring program that will make a 1080P60 Bluray. What authoring program does this Cary? Sure you can burn a 60P m2ts file to a Bluray disc and it will play but to me that is not a Bluray authored disc with menus and chapters etc. The reference I gave from Wiki for the UHD spec does not support HD 1080P60 it is still 60i like the old version but now includes UHD. Is there another spec I have missed ?
Old June 13th, 2018, 05:58 PM   #20
Major Player

I like to shoot dance recitals in 60P but when I've shot in 30P instead the DVDs still looked fine. I never saw a problem. Either way it goes to 60i, lower field first.

I do however avoid recording interlaced like the plague. I'd like to remove it from being a recording option on all my cameras :)
David Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2018, 07:01 PM   #21
Inner Circle

However if you shoot 30P it will be 30P in 60i so the temporal motion of 30P. If you shoot 60P and convert to 60i it will still have the temporal motion of 60P just half the fields missing. Most DVD players will replace these missing fields when they convert to 60P for playback preserving the smooth motion. I agree to shoot in 60P but see no problems in making DVD and Bluray in interlace. I also agree that if you play these on a PC with poor playback software you will get the jaggies !!! That is a problem of the playback software NOT interlace transport. On a good DVD or Bluray player there should not be any difference. At least I see no difference on my systems.
Old June 14th, 2018, 12:56 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Blu-ray supports 1080p60 just fine.
That's new to me, can you link to where you found that info?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 01:02 PM   #23
Major Player

True the temporal motion is different between 30p and 60p capture and some could prefer one look or the other. I originally thought this would be a bigger deal than it is but found out one day I had 2 multi cam recitals (both going to DVD) at the same time and didn't have enough 1080 60p cameras for both. So I did 1080 30p on one recital. The 30p footage looked similar on DVD and now I have no reservations about using it unless I want slow motion. 720 60p makes great DVDs too.
David Banner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds