ex1 back up battery? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 25th, 2018, 01:07 AM   #1
Trustee

ex1 back up battery?

a couple of questions...

a. how long will the battery hold it's charge - i might have to store the camera for 3 months or so whilst doing work with another camera and would like to have my settings ready to go when turned on again?

b. if the camera is mains powered, or battery come to that, does this by any chance charge, or at least override the backup battery?

tia
Old July 25th, 2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: ex1 back up battery?

I have no idea, but I got my EX-1 in July 2009, have never changed it and my settings are still there.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Trustee

hi boyd,

thanks for getting back. have you ever stored it for extended periods?

thanks

leslie
Old July 25th, 2018, 08:12 AM   #4
Wrangler

Well, yes... I would call 9 years an "extended period". ;-) I don't use it very much at all, I typically go for months - or even years - without using it. Is it difficult to change the battery? I didn't think it was. Why not just put a new one in if you're concerned?
Old July 25th, 2018, 10:12 AM   #5
Wrangler

Just checked my EX-1 manual, the battery looks easy enough to change, it's a CR2032 which is commonly used in lots of devices, I think I paid something like $3 for a two-pack awhile ago. Thanks for making me think about this, awhile ago I was wondering how long it would last. Am going to change mine now since I have several packs of CR2032's on hand already.

But regarding your question, I don't agree with your logic. Seems to me that the battery works independently of everything else in the camera. I don't think it is charged by the main battery or AC adapter. So (IMO) it isn't relevant whether you are using or just storing the camera. I think the battery will just go dead after X many years, regardless of usage patterns.

But here's what I've always wondered about the EX-1. As any owner knows, the battery pack constantly drains when it's on the camera, even when it is turned off. The battery will go dead in a matter of days if you leave it in storage. So my question is.... exactly what is still powered up when the camera is turned off? When the battery goes dead, it doesn't seem to affect anything (no settings are lost).
Old July 25th, 2018, 09:06 PM   #6
Trustee

all duly noted, and thanks...

well i'm very happy that the battery lasts 'years' - there are periods of upto three months at a time when mine lays idle for one reason or another. so yes, like you, i think i'll simply change out the battery as per manual.

i've also often wondered what the drain on a battery pack could be - i mentioned it to a friend once in front of my 8 yr old grandchild (precocious little bugger), who pointed out that since electricity flowed, they'd probably be a puddle of it under the camera. i duly looked to satisfy him - he was pretty disappointed not to have been proved right.

again boyd, thanks for helping out.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds