Sony XDCAM EX -- a bunch of pics - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 19th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #46
Major Player

I vaguely remember that one. I found a pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony XDCAM EX -- a bunch of pics-hc1000_features_06.jpg  
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM   #47
Regular Crew

And now... for the amateur question of this thread. I don't suppose this camcorder has optical image stabilization? I know this is supposed to be a professional camcorder, but it is sort of straddling the line and looks a little bit like my VX 2000.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #48
Video Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
It's a bit larger than the Z1, but not a lot.
Oh dear...I thought the Z1 was ALREADY too big. It's no fun to shoot one handheld; should've been a shoulder-mounted form factor.
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM   #49
Regular Crew

Quote:
Regarding price and availability, the exact quotes from the presentation were "by the end of the year" and "under $8,000".
We seem concerned about the camera's specs, design, ergonomics, price, availability,etc. I think we need to be a little patient here. Sony just announced the intro of this new XDCAM Ex camcorder. It's obvious Sony is still working on this cam.

We may know it's a new format camcorder which records on a SxS flash card, in various forms of HD and framerates. But, the chipset hasn't finalized. Everyone keeps asking if it's CMOS or CCD, is it a fixed lens or what?? Hell, I've noticed this model doesn't even have a name yet. When Sony released their other new format cams, like their HDV cams, they already had thier names as well, the HDR-FX1, HVR-Z1U, HDR-HC3, etc. I know most XDCams go under the lettering PDW, like PDW-330, but, PDW-what for this cam??

It's obvious Sony is still working on this cam, they don't even have a name for it yet.

Ozzy
Ozzy Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 05:33 PM   #50
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Alvarez View Post
We may know it's a new format camcorder which records on a SxS flash card, in various forms of HD and framerates. But, the chipset hasn't finalized. Everyone keeps asking if it's CMOS or CCD, is it a fixed lens or what?? Hell, I've noticed this model doesn't even have a name yet. When Sony released their other new format cams, like their HDV cams, they already had thier names as well, the HDR-FX1, HVR-Z1U, HDR-HC3, etc. I know most XDCams go under the lettering PDW, like PDW-330, but, PDW-what for this cam??
It most likely won't have a PDW designator. It's not a new format, it's the XDCAM format being written onto flash, rather than optical. That's the beauty of it. Owners of XDCAM HD cameras will be able to have a smaller form factor camera that records with the same codec so they won't have to work as hard to intercut between large and small camera anymore. It IS a fixed lens camera. That much is for certain. I had the camera in my hands yesterday and it does power up. I just didn't have anything to record onto.

The rear viewfinder is color and the LCD screen tucks under the handle and swivels out to the left, then rotates into viewing position.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #51
Regular Crew

I like the Z1 form factor. I think it's a very comfortable camcorder to use. Do you think Sony will change the EX into an HD100/HD200 type shoulder mount cam? That would be pretty cool - 1/2" 3-chip, fixed manual lens, shoulder mount mini-PDW camcorder. Or maybe they'll introduce both - shoulder mount and Z1 form factor. Either way, it's the camera a lot of us have been waiting for.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:22 PM   #52
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
Do you think Sony will change the EX into an HD100/HD200 type shoulder mount cam?
Do you remember the FX1 when it was first shown at IBC and NAB? Everyone felt it was a mockup and not a real camera. Whether it was or not, when they finally released the FX1 (about 6 months later IIRC) it looked just like the one they first showed.

Personally I think Sony will release a camera that looks like the one we saw at NAB, and they will want to differentiate it from the larger XDCAM series by giving it a fixed lens.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #53
Trustee

Quote:
Personally I think Sony will release a camera that looks like the one we saw at NAB, and they will want to differentiate it from the larger XDCAM series by giving it a fixed lens.
I think one of the reasons for the XDCAM EX having a fixed lens is because it’s cheaper to manufacture this way. You end up paying less for the camcorder which is a good thing.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #54
Regular Crew

Zoom Ratio on XDCam EX

Has anyone herd what the zoom ratio is on the new XDCam? I'm hoping 20x...

Joel
Joel Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #55
Trustee

I remember someone saying 14X.

I would love to see this camcorder with a zoom ratio of 20X as well but with 1/2" imagers, it seems unlikely unless they make the lens bigger.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #56
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
It most likely won't have a PDW designator. It's not a new format, it's the XDCAM format being written onto flash, rather than optical. That's the beauty of it. Owners of XDCAM HD cameras will be able to have a smaller form factor camera that records with the same codec so they won't have to work as hard to intercut between large and small camera anymore. It IS a fixed lens camera. That much is for certain. I had the camera in my hands yesterday and it does power up. I just didn't have anything to record onto.

The rear viewfinder is color and the LCD screen tucks under the handle and swivels out to the left, then rotates into viewing position.

-gb-
Greg, if you don't mind, since you had the oportunity to play with this pre-production unit, did you have a chance to look at both the LCD monitor and viewfinder with the camera switched on? How did it look to you? Sharp enough to eye focus? Can you compare it to the HVX200 if you've used one before? Of course it might still be up for change, but let's assume it's not for discussion's sake.
David Lach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:41 AM   #57
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lach View Post
Greg, if you don't mind, since you had the oportunity to play with this pre-production unit, did you have a chance to look at both the LCD monitor and viewfinder with the camera switched on? How did it look to you? Sharp enough to eye focus? Can you compare it to the HVX200 if you've used one before? Of course it might still be up for change, but let's assume it's not for discussion's sake.
Have not handled the HVX200 so I can't compare. I was specifically looking at the color VF to determine focus capability. It seemed okay, but I've gotten used to the BW viewfinder on my F350 with the peaking to help determine focus (IOW, I've gotten spoiled). I didn't have a chance to look for any type of focusing aid (2x or focus assist) like the JVC HD100 has.

-gb-
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:43 AM   #58
Inner Circle

Greg, another important question to you: can the EX talk to the PDW-U1 directly, so that dumping from SxS cards to the Pro Disc is possible in field, without a computer?
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM   #59
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Greg, another important question to you: can the EX talk to the PDW-U1 directly, so that dumping from SxS cards to the Pro Disc is possible in field, without a computer?
Saw that question earlier and honestly, I don't know as yet. The only interface I know of on the PDW-U1 is a USB2 connection. We had asked Sony for firewire but for some reason they went with USB2. Keep in mind Piotr, that the drive won't be able to write to disc until 2008.

-gb-
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:04 AM   #60
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Boston View Post
Saw that question earlier and honestly, I don't know as yet. The only interface I know of on the PDW-U1 is a USB2 connection. We had asked Sony for firewire but for some reason they went with USB2. Keep in mind Piotr, that the drive won't be able to write to disc until 2008.

-gb-
Greg, 2008 is OK with me if the EX with 2 SxS cards, plus the PDW-U1 with a bunch of disks is all I need when away from my office! I think this exciting camera should go with the PDW-U1 as naturally as my V1 goes with the HVR-DR60 disk drive.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds