XDCAM EX expected to be delayed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 26th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XDCAM EX expected to be delayed?

Heard a rumor from a [reliable] VAR in LA that this camera might be delayed until December.

[Reliable but a sales guy of course and he was straight on to the great alternatives that I could purchase immediately]

Anyone have an thoughts about using a follow-focus with this? 1/2" chips should give a reasonable DOF and the early mock-ups shown at NAB show the focus ring to have [what appear to be] standard gears.

But then there's that quick focus knob?

I've asked Sony's XDCAM product team but not a word (not surprisingly perhaps).
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Paul. I'll admit that I haven't been following recent developments too closely so I may have missed something. But at NAB Sony was saying the camera would be available by the "end of the year" and that would be consistent with a December release. Did Sony recently say something to cause you to expect the camera before that, or are you basing this on some third party expectations?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2007, 05:54 PM   #3
Major Player

When the camera was first shown at NAB it was specified as being available by the end of the year, but there was subsequently an authoritative indication from Sony (I think it was in the video interview with some guy - I forget his name - some product development manager or something) that the camera would be available in October.

Sony will "announce/launch" the camera in mid July (apparently) and I guess we'll know a little better then as to what the availability timescale and price points are going to be.
Old June 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

According to the VAR I spoke to, the original plan was to try and get these moving into the channel in late Sept. That jives with what Robert Ott (I think?) said on that NAB interview (referenced above)

I'm leaving for an important trip on Dec 17, and would really like to get my hands on one of these. That said, not sure I want to get a '1.0' camera literally days before I leave, as I'd like to make sure it works, read the manual, take some test shots and have a Pelican liner cut.

Maybe I'll think about the HVX200 again. If only they'd do an update with a better resolution display and keep bringing the price of those P2 cards down.
Paul Ramsbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2007, 04:43 AM   #5
New Boot

I heard it would be available in the UK in November and cost £4,500 - £5,000 including VAT. I heard this from one of the guys on the Sony stand at the recent Broadcast Production Show in London
Kieran James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Guys, have Sony ever launched anything way before Xmas? I think they will play Santa Claus again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds