XDCAM EX and HDD solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 27th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #1
Inner Circle

XDCAM EX and HDD solution

Have been wondering: will a HDD such as the Sony DR60 be able to write XDCAM EX files if connected via firewire?

Or should I rather ask: what can be done to make it possible?
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Technically the video is a data file, so there's no theoretical reason why an HDD solution wouldn't work.

However, the DR60 is setup to recognize HDV streams, not HDCAM HD files - so without a change in firmware it's not going to work.

An interesting thing that Panasonic have done with the HPX500 is given it an internal HD controller - so it can use regular firewire drives to dump footage from P2 cards.

The same solution for the XDCAM EX would be ideal, especially as you could probably dump two entire cards worth of footage to a fast hard drive in about 8 minutes!
Old June 27th, 2007, 01:17 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Yeah... the "intelligence" required to that could either be implemented in the drive or the camera's firmware. Anyway, it'd be nice to have some extra recording media, apart from the SxS card - just in case!
Old June 27th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If this becomes possible the EX will be my next camera for sure.

Chris

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds