DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Any speculation on how the ex will do with 35mm adapters? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/99254-any-speculation-how-ex-will-do-35mm-adapters.html)

Matt Buys July 18th, 2007 10:44 PM

Any speculation on how the ex will do with 35mm adapters?

Great? Bad? No real difference? I've heard mixed things about the fujinon lens.

Tim Polster July 19th, 2007 06:46 AM

Just a guess, but given how nice the HVX-200 looks with the Brevis, I bet it is going to look great with more light capability as well.

Mark Kenfield July 21st, 2007 03:08 AM

I'm thinking that those 1/2" sensors and the Fujinon glass are going to push what you can do with a "prosumer" level camera and a 35mm adapter to some exciting new heights.

Very excited to see how this camera turns out.

Mathieu Ghekiere July 31st, 2007 08:23 AM

Are there 35mm adaptor who work with 1/2 sensors?

I know about the many adaptors who work with 1/3 CCD's, and I know about the Pro35 adaptor which works with 2/3 chips, but is there one that works with 1/2 CCD's?

Mike Marriage July 31st, 2007 10:29 AM

There is now a Pro35 adapter for 1/2" cameras, namely the XDCAM HD range.

Providing that the lens on the EX would focus close enough, you could use the current non-relay adapters, such as the M2, with it.

Jemore Santos September 8th, 2007 09:06 PM

Do you think the EX1 will have an "inverted flip" mode for other 35mm adapters?

E.J. Sadler September 9th, 2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere (Post 721145)
Are there 35mm adaptor who work with 1/2 sensors?

The Brevis works great on any camera independent of the chip size.

If this camera had a removable lens, it would have been the perfect adapter camera with a relay lens.

Kyle Self September 9th, 2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys (Post 714059)
Great? Bad? No real difference? I've heard mixed things about the fujinon lens.

What "mixed" things?

I would like to see a really impartial test soon but the only "Mixed things" I've heard or seen have come from people married to panny. I pretty much just ignore those out the gate. There are too many of them that if you listen will still try and convince you that XDCAM is the exact same thing as HDV, which they even know is not true when they say it.

K

Alex Leith September 9th, 2007 05:43 PM

I have to agree with Kyle... I haven't seen anything (overly) critical said about the Fujinon lens so far from those who've spent time using the prototype(s).

Paul Izbicki September 9th, 2007 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jemore Santos (Post 741405)
Do you think the EX1 will have an "inverted flip" mode for other 35mm adapters?

No, I don't.

Paul Ramsbottom September 10th, 2007 01:27 AM

Um, I'm trying to decide between the HVX200 and the EX and am leaning towards the EX because I want to get a shallow(er) DOF without using an adapter. Am I missing something here?

Bob Grant September 10th, 2007 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Ramsbottom (Post 741810)
Um, I'm trying to decide between the HVX200 and the EX and am leaning towards the EX because I want to get a shallow(er) DOF without using an adapter. Am I missing something here?

Not that I know of. The larger imager and smaller circle of confusion from the higher resolution will both help. Minimum F stop of the two lenses will also be a factor that I don't have the data to comment on is also a factor. You should also temper that however with how the lens performs fully open. Most sub uber expensive lenses don't perform as well with the iris fully open.

E.J. Sadler September 10th, 2007 02:29 PM

Even a 2/3" camera with a CinePrime has tons of DOF and nothing remotely close to what you can get with an adapter. With a non removable zoom this camera isn't going to have DOF characteristics that much different than a 1/3" camera.

Chris Barcellos September 10th, 2007 02:54 PM

One of the big problems with HDV cmos and 3 chip camera is light gathering capabilities. I saw in one of the initial write ups that there will be a gain of 1 and 1/2 to two stops. That will be extremely helpful in my experience with Letus, and M2 adapters, maybe moving out of the grainy high gain situation in some shooting situations.