Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta

Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta
HD recording with a Super35 CMOS Sensor.

Old April 19th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here!

First S-Log Test with Sony F3 on DV Info Net

My Good friends at Next Level pictures, Khalid Mohtaseb, Jon Bregel and I shot the hell out of some Slog out at NAB!

Enjoy!

Visit their site as well! Next Level Pictures - Blog
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here!

Wow... you've got mail,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Major Player

Re: Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here!!!!

Tim,
Great work in such a short time. An absolute text book achievement in such a short time.
Terrific gig. Perhaps you can inform the forum as to how using Log is not Latin.
Dennis Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #4
Vortex Media

Re: Watch the First Sony F3 S-Log Footage Here!!!!

Excellent! Very nicely done.
I also thought the "making of" documentary was perfect. I've rarely seen anything better on the Extras of a DVD or Blu-ray. Gives us all something to strive to achieve.
Thanks.
Old April 19th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #5
Trustee

I think that anyone who was on the fence over whether 3300 upgrade was really worth it could be convinced by this video. pretty freakin' cool.
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Major Player

Really beautiful work Timur. I appreciate you and your team's efforts to do a real-world test with what seems quite limited lighting and time. I just got back from NAB and am staring at my bare bones F3 wondering where to go next, but the S-log upgrade will be at the top of the list.

Cheers,
Peter
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Hi Timur. Didn't Andy Shipsides also say that he got the S-log upgrade on his F3 at NAB?
Aaron Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Whose camera do you think we used? ;)
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:29 PM   #9
Trustee

Is my computer monitor off or does all the original XDCam stuff look overexposed compared to the S-Log?
Also what gamma was the XDCAm
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Is my computer monitor off or does all the original XDCam stuff look overexposed compared to the S-Log?
Also what gamma was the XDCAm
Technically, it was. It looks like the Rec709 viewing LUTs are set to make the camera one stop slower in an effort to get you to expose down and save some highlights in the S-Log.

So if they shot S-Log to external recorder, Rec709 LUT to SxS, and then were VIEWING S-Log on the external monitor out, that would create the 1 stop difference we see in that clip. They were exposing the S-Log correctly, but exposing the baked-LUT material hot.

Also, frankly, if the S-Log has taken a trip through Apple Color or Resolve, and the XDCAM was cut in "straight" as a comparison, all bets are off. Part of the point of S-Log is you have wiggle room in post to boost or cut exposure, and I'm sure whoever colored this took full advantage to 'kick the tires'.

If all this scares you, it will easily be possible to make a viewing LUT that keeps the exposure similar to S-Log.
Old April 20th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Yes, I was wondering about the difference and if the S-log option wasn't available to the internal recorder.

The S-log looks much more impressive than the straight Rec709 recordings I've seen to date from the camera.

It also looks more usable with that rear V/F removed and a top mounting system in place. Sony should make it possible for their dealers to remove the factory top handle & V/F and replace them with suitable top plates, without the camera warranty being infringed. .
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2011, 01:02 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Sony should make it possible for their dealers to remove the factory top handle & V/F and replace them with suitable top plates, without the camera warranty being infringed. .
From the mouths of people who would know at NAB, there are folks trying to work this out.
Old April 20th, 2011, 05:14 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Excellent tests guys, thank you for the wide variety of shooting situations, very informative.

For me the original XDCAM material has a vibrance that appears lost in the S-Log, but that's just personal taste over the S-Log grade which is less saturated. What I would like to see is a comparison done between correctly exposed graded 10 bit Cinegamma material recorded on a decent codec and S-Log, it would be interesting to see how big the difference there is.

I noticed a couple of the night shots of the girl where her cheeks appear to be a teeny bit over exposed or suffering from highlight compression. It's pretty obvious on the XDCAM material but not so pronounced on the S-Log. I wonder if these shots could have done with a little lower exposure. Was this a result of monitoring or something else? Not a criticism of the project as it demonstrates that even with S-Log you've got to watch those skin tone and keep them in the linear part of the gamma curve.

Again... thanks, excellent job.
Old April 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #14
Regular Crew

YEa exposure was the big question of the night.

Having never worked with sLog i wasnt sure of which to expose for. I ultimatly exposed for 709, but gave it a touch of over exposure to see what could be "recovered" in post.
Old April 20th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Major Player

What ISO was used?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM PMW-F3 CineAlta