Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XAVC and XDCAM Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM HD CineAlta

Sony XDCAM HD CineAlta
Sony PDW700, F335, F355, F30, F70, and other XDCAM and CineAlta hardware.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #1
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central, OH
Posts: 207
Codec/app to play XDCAM HD files?

I have some 1080p24 video files that have been output from FCP in XDCAM HD format. They play in FCP of course, and on the mac with FCP, but I'd like to play them back on my PC.

After Googling around, I went to the Sony site where I downloaded a "Sony XDCAM Viewer" and installed it, but it won't play the files.

Is there a playback codec I can download somewhere that will let me play these in Quicktime or Windows Media Player or anything else?
Thanks
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 645
the problem is your PC does not have the "quicktime" xdcam hd codecs, they are mac only
instead, export the files to your hard drive using Sony XDCAM Transfer, that will rewrap them as MXF files ... try opening that on your PC with the Sony XDCAM Viewer app

alternatively export your piece using a cross platform codec such as h.264
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:14 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central, OH
Posts: 207
Thanks for the reply Andy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
the problem is your PC does not have the "quicktime" xdcam hd codecs, they are mac only
Yeah, I was hoping there were PC Quicktime XDCAM codecs out there.

Quote:
instead, export the files to your hard drive using Sony XDCAM Transfer, that will rewrap them as MXF files ... try opening that on your PC with the Sony XDCAM Viewer app
Gotcha. The viewer app can only view actual MXF files.

Quote:
alternatively export your piece using a cross platform codec such as h.264
I was hoping to not do a ton of back and forth re-encoding of these files. Is there any free cross-platform codec that won't degrade the quality of these files?
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 645
David

you misunderstood my post.

download Sony XDCAM Transfer for Mac (PDZPK1)
http://www.sonybiz.net/res/attachmen...6605189212.ZIP (direct link)

with that installed you can export these files from FCP:
select one in the browser window, then choose File menu > Export > Sony XDCAM...
that allows you to export a Quicktime wrapped XDCAM HD file as an MXF wrapped XDCAM HD file, either back to an XDCAM disc or on to your hard disc ... the latter is what you want. the video content (essence) will not be touched, it will only be rewrapped in an MXF container

then you should be able to open such a file on your PC with the PC XDCAM Viewer software

hope thats clearer
Andy
Andy Mees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central, OH
Posts: 207
Thanks Andy, I did misunderstand the part about using the "transfer for mac" software.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mees View Post
David

you misunderstood my post.

download Sony XDCAM Transfer for Mac (PDZPK1)
http://www.sonybiz.net/res/attachmen...6605189212.ZIP (direct link)

with that installed you can export these files from FCP:
select one in the browser window, then choose File menu > Export > Sony XDCAM...
that allows you to export a Quicktime wrapped XDCAM HD file as an MXF wrapped XDCAM HD file, either back to an XDCAM disc or on to your hard disc ... the latter is what you want. the video content (essence) will not be touched, it will only be rewrapped in an MXF container

then you should be able to open such a file on your PC with the PC XDCAM Viewer software

hope thats clearer
Andy
David Garvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Tourist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2
XDCAM EX HD Quicktime files onto Premiere Pro

We shot using the Sony XDCAM EX1 (SxS cards) and my cameraman imported the clips onto his Mac. They are no longer on the SxS cards.

He copied the QuickTime (.mov) video clips onto my PC hard drive so that I could edit on Premiere Pro (latest version: 3.2).

The problem is that I can't open the files. I searched on the net and discovered that it's not possible to open those specific QuickTime files on a PC as Final Cut Pro has the XDCAM HD codec which a PC does not.

My cameraman said he can't export the files back onto the SxS cards, even using the XDCAM Transfer. The XDCAM Clip browser can't open .mov files.

Is there a solution to my problem? I want to edit using Adobe Premiere Pro.
Georges Sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #7
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Colony, TX
Posts: 5,938
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georges Sokol View Post
My cameraman said he can't export the files back onto the SxS cards, even using the XDCAM Transfer. The XDCAM Clip browser can't open .mov files.

Is there a solution to my problem? I want to edit using Adobe Premiere Pro.
Same as the above. He will need to load the .MOV files into FCP, then do File - EXPORT- XDCAM HD. He will need the latest version (6.0.3) of FCP to have full EX codec support. This will re-wrap the content into MXF which is also supported under the latest version of Premiere Pro (the PC version anyway). Both of these NLE updates occurred during NAB.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Tourist
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 2
Thanks!

Thanks Greg, it worked! I dunno why, but my cameraman had tried to export the file back to the SxS card rather than to his hard drive (which is why he got the error).

You saved us! Many many thanks!
Georges Sokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #9
Tourist
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York City, NY and San Francisco, CA
Posts: 4
What about playing them on a mac period with Quicktime

I shot some footage for a friend using my Sony EX-3 - XDCAM EX 1080p30 (35Mb/s VBR).

So I ingested all the footage with XDCam Transfer and now I have all these .MOV files in a folder. I copied them to an external HD that I then brought over to my friend's place of business and copied that folder with the Quicktime files to her Macbook - it has the latest verison of Quicktime installed - so no problem - but when trying to play the files, everything's black.

She DOESN'T have any NLE software or FC Pro - Just quicktime - she was going to take the .mov files and one by one write down the takes and create a list for me - but she can't see them - what can she do and can she even see them - I don't have any of these files in any other format now than these .mov files with the XDCAM codec.

Any help ASAP would be greatly appreciated

Clarke

Clarke@clarkesmith.com
415-279-2911
Clarke L. Smith is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

EVS
(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XAVC and XDCAM Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM HD CineAlta

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 




Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:56 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2014 The Digital Video Information Network