2 XDCAM HD cams losing firewire connection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts
Sony PDW-F800, PDW-700, PDW-850, PXW-X500 (XDCAM HD) and PMW-400, PMW-320 (XDCAM EX).

Old October 31st, 2007, 03:32 PM   #1
New Boot

2 XDCAM HD cams losing firewire connection

Hi all

As of two weeks ago, we had 3 XD 330s up and running just fine...We had some FAM issues to work out in the edit facilities after some software upgrades. That was complete, and with only a handful of connections to either the PCs or Macs, we lost two of the three cameras in their ability to connect by FAM or by AV/C. Would this be due to less experienced operators trying to connect with the cameras and computers powered up and just hot-swapping the firewire cables or without safe removing or ejecting discs before disconnecting?

thanks
Greg
Greg Sherris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Telecam Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sherris View Post
Hi all

As of two weeks ago, we had 3 XD 330s up and running just fine...We had some FAM issues to work out in the edit facilities after some software upgrades. That was complete, and with only a handful of connections to either the PCs or Macs, we lost two of the three cameras in their ability to connect by FAM or by AV/C. Would this be due to less experienced operators trying to connect with the cameras and computers powered up and just hot-swapping the firewire cables or without safe removing or ejecting discs before disconnecting?

thanks
Greg
This could very well be the case. Sony has published several service bulletins insisting on the importance of powering off equipment before connecting or disconnecting Firewire cables.

Thierry.
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:22 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Very cautious people power off their equipment prior to plugging in a firewire cable.

Sound Devices, in their manuals, recommends that both devices be powered off, for example, a computer and their 744t.

Personally, I try to visually inspect the firewire cable for bent pins prior to connecting. This usually requires a small flashlight. (I know that this is being overly cautious.)

I also have at least my camera powered off prior to plugging the cable into the camera.

Of course, this is being overly cautious, but others have lost their firewire connections for some reason.

In some cases, following Canon's instructions to the letter, Canon requires you to have both devices powered up prior to plugging in the camera. In these cases, I follow Canon's instructions, but generally, I will always have my XL H1 powered off before plugging or unplugging the Firewire cable.

The way I see it, a little caution, whether it is truely needed or not, cannot hurt.

I would love to know what really goes wrong when the Firewire connection goes out. Is it a physical problem, such as a bent pin, is it a static electricity caused problem, or is it a general electronic problem in that some part has gone bad?

With the original ungrounded power supply that comes with a Sound Devices 744t, the frame of the 744t can have about 60 volts on it, when it is plugged into power and not grounded by other means.

As such, I never use the power supply when using the Firewire cable. Nor is it ever on when I plug or unplug a Firewire cable.

Last edited by Dan Keaton; November 1st, 2007 at 07:04 AM.
Dan Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 01:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I had to send my 350 back to Sony after the DVCam stepdown from HQ 35m/b was dropping the odd frame when transfering to a Sony 'DV in' DVD recorder and a Sony DHR 1000 through the I-link. I borrowed a DVCam cassette recorder to make sure it was not the recorder end of the chain. In an hours material, which was fine playing back through the HDSDI BNC, three of four times you would get a 'dropped' frame - a slight stutter or jump. Sony found no repeatable fault but replaced the plug socket. I will also replace the lead.
I have not had time to test the camera in this mode yet, so fingers crossed all will be well when I do. I think the 'power down-connect-power up' is a sound principle. But like many sound principles it's remembering to follow them on the day....

Regards to all
Godfrey Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

A Sony tech recommended, and I use, a null power adaptor for the larger firewire connector, which doesn't have the wire that carries the power, which is where he said the problems usually arise. I hot swap various devices all the time and so far no problems.
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godwin View Post
A Sony tech recommended, and I use, a null power adaptor for the larger firewire connector, which doesn't have the wire that carries the power, which is where he said the problems usually arise. I hot swap various devices all the time and so far no problems.
Same here. But as always, YMMV. One thing I am very careful to do though, is to line the connector up properly and push it in quickly. Often times, we plug something in by 'fishing' around and holding the connector at a slight angle trying to find the female end. This can lead to crossed connections and blown ports.

I've got an external FW drive that won't get recognized unless it's already powered on when I connect the cable. Go figure.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Contributor

I believe there a few different firewire isolators out there. I know this topic was discussed extensively over in the JVC GY-HD100 thread as their sockets seemed particularly prone blowing when connected with the power on. There's a lot of recommendations there and it's a sticky at the top of the forum.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Trustee

XDCam HD dropped frames on firewire transfer

[QUOTE=Godfrey Kirby;768255]I had to send my 350 back to Sony after the DVCam stepdown from HQ 35m/b was dropping the odd frame when transfering to a Sony 'DV in' DVD recorder and a Sony DHR 1000 through the I-link. I borrowed a DVCam cassette recorder to make sure it was not the recorder end of the chain. In an hours material, which was fine playing back through the HDSDI BNC, three of four times you would get a 'dropped' frame - a slight stutter or jump. Sony found no repeatable fault but replaced the plug socket.

Interested in Godfrey Kirby's problem with XDCam HD dropping frames when doing a firewire transfer. We are seeing a number of units here in Australia with the same problem yet Sony can't find the answer. The factory say they are unaware of such a problem so can't suggest a fix. We have had firewire boards, input-output buffers changed... even cameras and still have the problem. Yet some cameras are fine. Godfrey did you get your problem resolved? If so do you repairers know what the problem was. We would love to here any answers or ideas surrounding this issue.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney, Aust
Christopher Young is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony ENG / EFP Shoulder Mounts